• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What is sedation like?

L

luke88

What is it like to be sedated during extractions?

ID like to know also

Okay so I was sedated last Monday (4th December) and I had a filling, a normally erupted wisdom tooth extracted and a partially erupted fully impacted wisdom tooth extracted under IV sedation.
the dentist will out in the needle thingy (can't remember the proper name) into either your hand or elbow (mine was in the elbow) and then he'll add a bit of the sedative to it. You don't feel this go in at all, and he'll wait as he can't add it all in one go. All I remember is him asking me to tell him when I started feeling a bit tired and relaxed. I said "Around about now" and felt really relaxed then the next thing I remember is a feeling of intense pressure in my jaw where the impacted wisdom tooth was - not pain, just pressure but I didn't mind. It was more of an "Oh, I'm feeling pressure" and then the next thing I remember knowing is my dentist putting gauze in my mouth and talking to me.
i literally remember nothing else in between and it feels like a few seconds passed all in all. It was fab. I didn't feel sick or anything afterwards but my balance was a little bit off for about 15 minutes, which is why I assume they want you to be driven home.
When I got home I'd already planned that I was going straight to bed, but not to sleep. Didn't feel very tired, but I just went to bed to play on my iPad while my mum watched over me.
Id strongly recommend taking any painkillers before the local anaesthetic wears off. I had a difficult extraction - my dentist decided to manipulate the bone rather than make an incision into the gum and it's still a bit achey now. Went for a follow up today and he said that it was awkward to remove.

so yeah, that's what it felt like, for me, to be sedated. I can honestly say it was the best thing ever and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
feel free to ask any other questions

Okay so I was sedated last Monday (4th December) and I had a filling, a normally erupted wisdom tooth extracted and a partially erupted fully impacted wisdom tooth extracted under IV sedation.
the dentist will out in the needle thingy (can't remember the proper name) into either your hand or elbow (mine was in the elbow) and then he'll add a bit of the sedative to it. You don't feel this go in at all, and he'll wait as he can't add it all in one go. All I remember is him asking me to tell him when I started feeling a bit tired and relaxed. I said "Around about now" and felt really relaxed then the next thing I remember is a feeling of intense pressure in my jaw where the impacted wisdom tooth was - not pain, just pressure but I didn't mind. It was more of an "Oh, I'm feeling pressure" and then the next thing I remember knowing is my dentist putting gauze in my mouth and talking to me.
i literally remember nothing else in between and it feels like a few seconds passed all in all. It was fab. I didn't feel sick or anything afterwards but my balance was a little bit off for about 15 minutes, which is why I assume they want you to be driven home.
When I got home I'd already planned that I was going straight to bed, but not to sleep. Didn't feel very tired, but I just went to bed to play on my iPad while my mum watched over me.
Id strongly recommend taking any painkillers before the local anaesthetic wears off. I had a difficult extraction - my dentist decided to manipulate the bone rather than make an incision into the gum and it's still a bit achey now. Went for a follow up today and he said that it was awkward to remove.

so yeah, that's what it felt like, for me, to be sedated. I can honestly say it was the best thing ever and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
feel free to ask any other questions

Did you feel the injection in your gums? and can you describe what the pressure felt like please?

Being sedated is like going to sleep. I am such a nervous patient that they always give me laughing gas first to get me more relaxed and then use the IV sedation. It takes about 10 seconds for me to fall asleep and then I don't remember anything until I wake up in another room. I wish I could get sedated for all dental procedures.

Being sedated is like going to sleep. I am such a nervous patient that they always give me laughing gas first to get me more relaxed and then use the IV sedation. It takes about 10 seconds for me to fall asleep and then I don't remember anything until I wake up in another room. I wish I could get sedated for all dental procedures.

Sorry i have to ask ......you have no memory of anything happening. ?,.....you don’t know what’s going on. ?,....I’m getting gas then IV sedation next Monday ,...I’m scared out of my mind

That's right- no memory. So, the last time I got a tooth extracted I was bawling like a baby because that's how anxious I get. So, he gave me laughing gas to calm me down. Then he hooked me up to a blood pressure thing and put an oxygen clamp on my pointer finger. He prepped me for the IV and was talking to me, I think to calm me down. He put the IV in and said to just relax. I started counting as I was looking at the clock. The nurse gave me something to put in my mouth-- like a block of something to bite on so that my mouth would stay open. That's it. I don't remember getting Novocaine shots, I don't remember a thing. Next thing, I'm in a recliner chair in another room, my 10 year old daughter was videotaping me, and my husband was sitting next to me.
I've been sedated about 6 or 7 times now and that's how it always goes. It is amazing.

That's right- no memory. So, the last time I got a tooth extracted I was bawling like a baby because that's how anxious I get. So, he gave me laughing gas to calm me down. Then he hooked me up to a blood pressure thing and put an oxygen clamp on my pointer finger. He prepped me for the IV and was talking to me, I think to calm me down. He put the IV in and said to just relax. I started counting as I was looking at the clock. The nurse gave me something to put in my mouth-- like a block of something to bite on so that my mouth would stay open. That's it. I don't remember getting Novocaine shots, I don't remember a thing. Next thing, I'm in a recliner chair in another room, my 10 year old daughter was videotaping me, and my husband was sitting next to me.
I've been sedated about 6 or 7 times now and that's how it always goes. It is amazing.

Thanks so much.......,.im beyond scared......I won’t let anyone take a video or pictures of my. I made them promise,another anxiety issue I have . My dad use to take pictures and videos of my Mom Witt her dentist and surgery’s she had them embarrass her by sending and showing them to people. My guys know not to even allow him in the house,better yet he doesn’t even know I’m having anything done......I told the dentist I went to I’m so scared I thought I’d just die with bad teeth..,,,,she said no we’re going to fix you up ......

Did you feel the injection in your gums? and can you describe what the pressure felt like please?

Nope don't remember the local anaesthetic at all. I probably did feel it (although from when I had my fillings in February my dentist did a really good job of making them near painless) but I don't remember it.
It's difficult to describe the pressure I felt. I suppose it was like a squeezing type of pressure. It didn't bear any resemblance to what I imagine was actually happening and the sedative made me feel like I didn't care. It was a vague awareness more than anything else. Kind of like when you're dreaming and you have a stray thought and you know you're dreaming within the dream. It's hard to explain I'm afraid, but hinetsly you will be fine. You won't remember anything, it will feel like 10seconds have passed and it's all done and you know nothing about it.

The only thing I can compare it to is fainting except with the sedative I didn't feel hot, sick and crappy beforehand and I didn't wake up with a sore bum and covers in Costa coffee and hot chocolate :giggle::giggle: