• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How does the dentist extract a tooth?

L

luke88

How does the dentist extract a tooth?

Hi they will give you a couple of injections to make you really numb, when you are numb they will prepare the tooth. You will feel nothing at all. You may feel a little bit of pressure and they will then lift the tooth out. The chances are that you won't know it is out until they tell you it has gone. They will then put a roll of lint in the gap where the tooth was and ask you to bite on it. When they are satisfied that a clot has formed they will tell you that you can go.

It is very quick and without pain, there is no pulling or tugging. All the best for your appointment.

Last edited:
Hi they will give you a couple of injections to make you really numb, when you are numb they will prepare the tooth. You will feel nothing at all. You may feel a little bit of pressure and they will then lift the tooth out. The chances are that you won't know it is out until they tell you it has gone. They will then put a roll of lint in the gap where the tooth was and ask you to bite on it. When they are satisfied that a clot has formed they will tell you can go.

It is very quick and without pain, there is no pulling or tugging. All the best for your appointment.

Thanks for that, could you please tell me the name of the numbing gel so I can buy some please?

Hi the name of the numbing gel that can be rubbed onto the gums before injecting is called topical. It numbs the gum so that you don't feel the injection but if the injection is given really slowly you won't feel it anyway. I am not sure of the name of the numbing stuff in the injection but I think it is novocain and you can have quite a few of these.

If you feel anything let them know and they can top the injection up, you won't feel any additional injections as you will be numb. Arrange a stop signal, usually raising an arm before they start so that if you need a break or want to let them know anything they can stop.

Hi the name of the numbing gel that can be rubbed onto the gums before injecting is called topical. It numbs the gum so that you don't feel the injection but if the injection is given really slowly you won't feel it anyway. I am not sure of the name of the numbing stuff in the injection but I think it is novocain and you can have quite a few of these.

If you feel anything let them know and they can top the injection up, you won't feel any additional injections as you will be numb. Arrange a stop signal, usually raising an arm before they start so that if you need a break or want to let them know anything they can stop.

is their another name for it besides topical I'm trying to find it online, oh and one last thing does the injection hurt?

You can't buy it online. It is for the dentist to use. It depends on the person doing the injection, if they do it really slowly it won't hurt.

Carole is chiefly right but let me fill in a little.
If the tooth is being extracted because of gum disease then it doesn't take much pressure to take it out. If it is decayed and the bone is dense then it may take a good amount of pressure but with good anesthesia it doesn't hurt. The most common injectable used today is lidocaine.

Back