• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worse case scenario

C

claireache

So after many false starts I start my dental journey proper on Friday at 9.15 when I will have 26 teeth removed under sedation. Just writing those words makes me light headed but hoping that a journal might help me and maybe others facing a similar path.

My back ground is similar to many on here- acute phobia starting from childhood and worsening year by year as my teeth got worse and worse. Add in three pregnancies which destroyed my gums and acute morning sickness with all three which destroyed my enamel and a long running gagging/brushing phobia and here I am. Aged 47 terrified and facing full extractions.

If that were not bad enough they have been unable to take any impressions to make me an immediate denture so I will walk out of the surgery toothless on Friday. The plan is they will take the impressions on Friday and my "immediates" will be fast tracker and ready in 10 days. God knows what they will look like and how they will fit.

So I will creep away on Friday with a scarf over my face and just hide away at home until my next appointment.

Well this time tomorrow I will be toothless and on this journey. Trying to work and failing miserably. The good news is I have all my follow up appointments for making of my dentures now booked in so I will be spending a lot of time at the dentist next week and hopefully a useable set of teeth ready for me at 2.30pm on 15th Jan...

Still the only people who know what's happening are the dentist, his staff and my husband. I will have to explain to my son's (both young adults) as can hardly hide from them in the same house! Just so ashamed even of telling my own family.

Right back to work. Writing things down does seem to help me so sorry for the rambling on!

Hi there, I hope all goes ok. Just think soon you won’t have to worry about teeth and go through any horrible dental procedures. Sending you lots of well wishes, you’re so brave and should be proud of yourself for doing this. Let me know how you get on. ?

Dear claireache,

you are taking a huge step and being very brave and I can only imagine how incredibly hard this is. The procedure alone would be stressful enough, even without having to spend 10 days waiting for dentures and being afraid to tell your sons.. I hope that your husband gives you a good support on this and also that your sons acknowledge how huge and courageous this step is. There are still many people who are in the same situation and are still struggling with even looking for a dental practice.

Let us know how you are doing and please use the journal as much as you can - it will help you sort your thoughts, gain some clarity and serve as an inspiration for all the people for whom you already are a role-model.

All the best for tomorrow:hug4:

Hey claireache please keep us updated on how your procedure goes tomorrow. Writing down your thoughts can certainly help you feel better and organize your thinking. I do it sometimes just to feel sane. I hope everything goes well for you and wish you all the best.

Thanks so much everyone. I'm just waiting for my appointment - see you all on the other side ?

Hope it all goes well!

Well back home and the deed is done. Don't remember much at all but it went well. No stitches and little bleeding (lots of my teeth were pretty loose already ) still a bit numb but can feel a few sore spots so about to take some pain meds. Avoiding mirrors at all costs as not at all ready to see how I look.

Feel very calm (could still be the meds)!

Just going to rest today and over the weekend and psyche up for impressions on Monday morning.

Everyone at the surgery was a total gem - many hugs and words of encouragement. If I had not built up some rappor over past few weeks of chats and emails I'm not sure I could have done it.

Congratulations on getting through it. So glad to hear it went well! Get lots of rest and let us know how you are doing when you’re up for it.

So glad it went well, the worst bit Is over now, and hopefully you can relax. Keep us all updated. Take care x

It's great to hear everything went smoothly! Please do keep us updated.

A huge well done! I am happy to hear that you could gain some trust to the practice and the dentist by mailing them and chatting with them, this is great.

Hope you calmness will stay as long as possible and that you get a lot of support at home. Take care and let us know how you are doing and how the healing is going.

Well day 2. Feeling a bit sorry for myself. Pain is worse but nothing paracetamol won't manage.

Hiding away as my son's have friends round and don't want anyone to see me. Husband bored of looking after me already so all in all a bit low.

Oh and my phone face recognition doesn't work any more!

Managed some porridge and have started salt water rinses.

Fingers crossed for a better day Tomorrow.

Congratulations on making it through. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Day 3 update - was really really down last night. Went round the house covering every mirror like some madwoman and now walking about with a scarf round my face.

Eaten some soup but no pleasure in eating so really forcing myself. Still no major physical pain.

Impressions tomorrow. So have to go out the house.....

Ok day 4 - the good news first. Dentist says my mouth is healing brilliantly. I have not taken and pain relief today and impressions are done and zooming off to the technician as we speak so he can get to work. Back tomorrow for bite measurement stuff.

Now the not so good news - I have one sore spot and was pretty certain a bit of tooth had been left behind. Turns out I was right? so an extra appointment now added tomorrow to take it out. No opportunity to set up iv sedation so oral sedation only. Terrified all over again.

Also still struggling emotionally and scarf over face is now a permanent fixture. 7 days to go...

Happy to hear about the good news and sorry for the bad ones.. on the other hand I believe it will go faster and easier than you ever thought. Extractions are usually quick and I am sure the bit of tooth will be out before you even noticed them to have started.

All good wishes for the 7 days. Remember that the absolutely worst part is already behind you, you have already won. The 7 days will pass.

Ok today's update for those not bored to death yet!

Back to the surgery this morning for bite measurement. A bit faffy and top plate kept dropping down which was a worry but dentist didnt seem concerned.

Decided on tooth shade and not to go too Tom cruise perfect on this set. A little crookedness and not brilliant white. Might go for perfection on my permanent. We'll see.

Next it was time for the dreaded missed extraction. I was a complete mess a.nd they had to get my husband in to hold my hand. The oral sedative did not really seem to do much! However I let them start and numb me up and the stupid tooth was out in seconds. Felt like such a wally for making such a fuss!

Well day off tomorrow then try in on Thursday. Off to eat yet another bowl of soup.

Not bored at all but thinking of you and following your progress!

So now the tooth is out and you have your first positive experience that didn't involved sedation, which is great! Congrats on that and hopefully you can find a way to treat yourself for having gone through this! :)

I’ve been following along and glad to see things are looking up!

Back