• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum graft 36 hours ago. Suture loose.

Dg6300

Dg6300

I got a gum graft 36 hours ago.

The pain wasn't too bad, but I just took one of the prescribed 800 mg ibuprophen. The pain is a fairly strong 3. I can taste a little blood a few times a day.

Meanwhile, after eating some warm (not hot) food, I can feel at least one of the threads/sutures loose on the roof of my mouth.

I have anxiety in my life, and I am doing my best to use the tools I have.

I have fear because it is late Saturday night, and the earliest I could into the periodontist would be 36 hours from now. It could very well be 48 or 72 hours.

At any rate I'm trying to keep my psyche and mind together. Thanks for listening.

Hi, I just wondered how you are doing now? I might have to undergo a gum graft procedure myself.

I'm good. Thanks for asking.

Tomorrow, at one week, I go to get the stitches out.

Generally it has been a profoundly annoying experience, particularly regarding soft foods and mouth-soreness.

The pain wasn't bad, and during the experience I kept thinking "This sucks". The experience sucked, but I can't say it was terrible or traumatic.

Compared to my wisdom teeth removal, three months ago, I'd say this sucked one third as much.

While I wouldn't be thrilled to have more gum grafts, I'd be less apprehensive since I know what to expect.

Two things I'd do differently:

1. Be better prepared with more and better soft food ready.

2. See if I could get the prescriptions filled ahead of time.

Most importantly I'd make sure I was mentally prepared for the soft foods. I went through it twice in three months, and if my tooth wasn't really loose I'd have waited.

All in all, a bad experience but not a terrible experience. I wouldn't hesitate to get it again. Just be better prepared.

One more annoying thing:

They say you can't get your heart rate up, and now I know why:

Around day 3 I could start to feel the blood pumping through the graft. If I my heartrate went up the poor little thing pulsed like crazy. Other than the Lidocaine injections during the procedure itself, that was the most physically painful time.

(And even that pain never got more than a 4 of 10. A solid 4, but nothing traumatic.)

I got the roof stitches out today, and having more than a touch of trichlotillomania, I have to admit it was intensely pleasurable as she cut and pulled each thread out.

My gum graft is disgusting, and right on track. She wants me to come in again in ten days for a final look.

She said I can exercise again, and be a bit more adventurous in my eating.

I can taste a little blood, and some pain, but hardly any pain worth an ibuprofen.

If the graft takes, I suppose the whole thing will be worth it.

That sounds like great progress (and documented well if there is a next time). You are out of the "danger zone" and are able to extend yourself to new activities. :)

As you say it'll be worth it - if anything to stabilize the tooth and perhaps reduce sensitivity of the tooth.

Last year I did pretty much my entire mouth with grafts and I can't be happier with the results. At least for me, I took my time as much as possible during the recovery and really have been careful with everything since. I know my perio is probably sick of me but I go in every 4-5 months for check up just in case because the last thing I want to have to do is go through that again.

I did get a bit of a scare at one point because apparently two teeth hadn't grafted properly and there was discussion of a revision of the graft at a later date to fix the "failure". I just kept up on the good hygiene and gentle brushing and it resolved itself though.

Back