• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Absoulty terrified

A

ashley89

Hello! I'm 29 years old, and went to the dentist a couple weeks ago because I had so much pain. I found out I have to have all of my wisdom teeth out, the two top molars next to the wisdom teeth, and my back two molars on the bottom. They asked me if I would like to be sedated, and it scares the crap out of me. I have never had surgery, and I'm terrified of the dentist. I have dental insurance but it's a cap of $1000 a year and I'm assuming it will not even begin to make a dent into my upcoming bills. I know there is care credit, but I'm living paycheck to paycheck as it is, I can't afford to have more things to pay. I'm also worried about a partial in the future. What if I never talk right again? What if I can't eat the things I like? How will I afford them? This entire situation is driving me crazy. If anyone has any words of advise or information I would truly appreciate your input.

Hello! I'm 29 years old, and went to the dentist a couple weeks ago because I had so much pain. I found out I have to have all of my wisdom teeth out, the two top molars next to the wisdom teeth, and my back two molars on the bottom. They asked me if I would like to be sedated, and it scares the crap out of me. I have never had surgery, and I'm terrified of the dentist. I have dental insurance but it's a cap of $1000 a year and I'm assuming it will not even begin to make a dent into my upcoming bills. I know there is care credit, but I'm living paycheck to paycheck as it is, I can't afford to have more things to pay. I'm also worried about a partial in the future. What if I never talk right again? What if I can't eat the things I like? How will I afford them? This entire situation is driving me crazy. If anyone has any words of advise or information I would truly appreciate your input.

No words of advice. I’m in the same situation but worse. Because of my intense fear of dentists my teeth have gone to hell. Finally built up the nerve to go. I went on Saturday and was told I need two root canals, 5 teeth out on top, then partial, all taken out of bottom and a full denture. I’m 43 years old. My insurance is the same, capped at 1000 and I’ll be using most of that the first visit. I’m waiting to do the bottom over the summer since I’m a teacher and that will give me time to adjust. I know I need the root canals but might tell him I have to wait to get the rest of the top done because I just don’t have the money. The whole situation has really got me down. So no words of advice just know you aren’t alone.

Dear Ashley,

sorry to hear about the situation you are in. Being afraid of the dentist is bad enough even if you had all the money you need for a treatment. Having to worry about the costs also just makes everything much worse and I understand that at this point it might seem like there is no solution.

Well first of all: do you have a dentist who can work with anxious patients and wo do understand your fears and knows how to put you at ease? This should be the base before everything else comes. It's important to have a dentist you trust and who you can ask everything that bothers you, for example about dentures or about things you will be able to eat or not.

The second point: do you already have a clear information about the cost? I do not know how it works at the place you are from, but at my place they give you a treatment plan so that you know what costs would you have to count with. From this place you can plan a strategy and decide where to start and what you can afford. Maybe there are things that can wait a little bit?

Dentistry can be very costy and you are not alone with this. I am sure that there will be some options and a way to do one step at a time.

All good wishes and let us know how you are doing.

No words of advice. I’m in the same situation but worse. Because of my intense fear of dentists my teeth have gone to hell. Finally built up the nerve to go. I went on Saturday and was told I need two root canals, 5 teeth out on top, then partial, all taken out of bottom and a full denture. I’m 43 years old. My insurance is the same, capped at 1000 and I’ll be using most of that the first visit. I’m waiting to do the bottom over the summer since I’m a teacher and that will give me time to adjust. I know I need the root canals but might tell him I have to wait to get the rest of the top done because I just don’t have the money. The whole situation has really got me down. So no words of advice just know you aren’t alone.

Thank you for telling me your story. I'm so sorry you're going through that, I know first hand it sucks. If you learn any pointers along the way I would love to hear them! I hope everything works out for you ☺

Dear Ashley,

sorry to hear about the situation you are in. Being afraid of the dentist is bad enough even if you had all the money you need for a treatment. Having to worry about the costs also just makes everything much worse and I understand that at this point it might seem like there is no solution.

Well first of all: do you have a dentist who can work with anxious patients and wo do understand your fears and knows how to put you at ease? This should be the base before everything else comes. It's important to have a dentist you trust and who you can ask everything that bothers you, for example about dentures or about things you will be able to eat or not.

The second point: do you already have a clear information about the cost? I do not know how it works at the place you are from, but at my place they give you a treatment plan so that you know what costs would you have to count with. From this place you can plan a strategy and decide where to start and what you can afford. Maybe there are things that can wait a little bit?

Dentistry can be very costy and you are not alone with this. I am sure that there will be some options and a way to do one step at a time.

All good wishes and let us know how you are doing.

I haven't made an appointment yet, I'm to chicken haha. I will hopefully tomorrow. One of the reasons I don't want to be sedated is the cost. The dental hygienist told me it would not be a plesant experience and I should be put under. I have eliminated everything I don't absoulty need, and I still live paycheck to paycheck. I'm scared my remaining teeth will start shifting if I don't get a partial right way. I just feel so defeated, it's really depressing. I know people have worse things to deal with and I keep trying to tell myself that. I will meet my oral sergon at my consultation apoitment, I really hope I like him/her!

I haven't made an appointment yet, I'm to chicken haha. I will hopefully tomorrow. One of the reasons I don't want to be sedated is the cost. The dental hygienist told me it would not be a plesant experience and I should be put under. I have eliminated everything I don't absoulty need, and I still live paycheck to paycheck. I'm scared my remaining teeth will start shifting if I don't get a partial right way. I just feel so defeated, it's really depressing. I know people have worse things to deal with and I keep trying to tell myself that. I will meet my oral sergon at my consultation apoitment, I really hope I like him/her!

I feel the same way. Don’t know what upsets me more: that I need a ton of work or that I just can’t pay for I.T all.

I understand your struggle financially and I’m sorry for what you’re going through. That being said, absolutely do not have your wisdom teeth out without being sedated. That is not something you want to be alert for, it will be traumatic.

.. the hygienist told you it won't be a pleasant experience and you should be put under.. well that's not really encouraging.

Do not be afraid to chose your dentist carefully. When it comes to dental fear, trust is the most important ingredient. When you have a kind dentist you trust, it can reduce your anxiety in an incredible way. So be picky, if you can (I don't know how much pain you currently have).

For a good balance here is my experience with having the wisdom teeth out: I had all 4 out in one appointment, no sedation, no laughing gas, no medication of any kind, just the good local anesthesia and it was one of the easiest experiences I ever had in a dental practice. The longest time was the waiting for the local to work. The actual work was incredibly quick. I thought they have just began and they said it was done. And I of course haven't feel anything at all.

I feel the same way. Don’t know what upsets me more: that I need a ton of work or that I just can’t pay for I.T all.
I know, it's very depressing and overwhelming! At least we know we're not the only ones feeling like this!

I just got 2 of mine out (Both Impacted) a week ago and before the surgery I was TERRIFIED BEYOND BELIEF. But I wasn't put under, my surgeon gave my anxiety meds and laughing gas, and I honestly hardly remember anything. It wasn't scary at all and I had NO pain, I was in and out of dream land the whole time (even though I was technically awake.). I didn't even care what was going on. One thing I think help is I downloaded some of my favorite TV show that I'd seen a lot and listened to it and I totally forgot in was getting teeth out, the it was kinda cool bc I was dreaming of being in the show. You could also listen to music, if you do the meds and gas combination you'll be so out of it the music/audio will be just enough for you to forget you are even there. Good luck!

Back