• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tomorrow's the big day and I might cancel

S

Superscared32

Tomorrow I go to the oral surgeon to get the rest of my teeth taken out under IV sedation. I'm really nervous I want to go get it taken care of but I'm scared.

Sending many many calming thoughts to you. You are brave just to take this step! I hope you get some rest and tomorrow’s appointment goes very well for you. Hang in!!

Sending many many calming thoughts to you. You are brave just to take this step! I hope you get some rest and tomorrow’s appointment goes very well for you. Hang in!!

Thank you I am going to try to hang in there

Hey, I know how scared you must be and also that you want to cancel. I would say that everyone has thoughts about cancelling shortly before an appointment.
There are a lot of posts from people who had extractions under iv and they are all very very positive - you won't notice a thing and the worst part is actually showing up.

Hope you have a good support at home and you have absolutely the support of many users here.

All the best for tomorrow, thinking of you, sending good wishes and happy to hear how you are doing.

Just like an hour before I have to leave to go to the dentist and it starts snowing !

I must have considered canceling about 100 times before my big appointment to have the same done. In fact, I have an appointment to get checked next Friday and I’m already thinking up ways I can cancel or excuses I can use. I won’t cancel it, just like I ultimately didn’t cancel before going in for my extractions, and here’s why:

Living with the anxiety and dread every day is far worse than biting the bullet and getting it over with. You will be sedated and unaware and there is plenty to manage any discomfort afterward. The sense of relief and exhilaration knowing I have faced fear and pushed through yet again is so worth it. When we push off our discomfort it’s more mental anguish and torment. Is it really worth it? Just think of all that led you to this point and feel good about taking control and doing something about it. Any discomfort is leading you toward better health instead of continued suffering. Please let us know how you’re doing. You’ve got this.

I must have considered canceling about 100 times before my big appointment to have the same done. In fact, I have an appointment to get checked next Friday and I’m already thinking up ways I can cancel or excuses I can use. I won’t cancel it, just like I ultimately didn’t cancel before going in for my extractions, and here’s why:

Living with the anxiety and dread every day is far worse than biting the bullet and getting it over with. You will be sedated and unaware and there is plenty to manage any discomfort afterward. The sense of relief and exhilaration knowing I have faced fear and pushed through yet again is so worth it. When we push off our discomfort it’s more mental anguish and torment. Is it really worth it? Just think of all that led you to this point and feel good about taking control and doing something about it. Any discomfort is leading you toward better health instead of continued suffering. Please let us know how you’re doing. You’ve got this.

Thanks for your post I have to leave in an hour to go do this... I am going to do it I just have to much anxiety right now. I can't drink any water either and that is the worst part right now ?? I bet as I am on my way I will get more anxiety. Oh and on top of everything else it snowed last night and it's an hour drive there

Thanks for your post I have to leave in an hour to go do this... I am going to do it I just have to much anxiety right now. I can't drink any water either and that is the worst part right now ?? I bet as I am on my way I will get more anxiety. Oh and on top of everything else it snowed last night and it's an hour drive there

I know how you feel. The day of a procedure is very tough. It’s so hard to put one foot in front of
The other when every bone in your body doesn’t want to move. It was tough too not to have coffee or water that morning. Just think when you get home later you can have all the water you want. And jello, pudding, and other soft soothing comfort foods. You will be okay you will get through this.

My dentist is an hour away too...I make sure I have my husband drive me. I hope you have someone who is going along with you for support. Either way please take your time In getting there.

I know how you feel. The day of a procedure is very tough. It’s so hard to put one foot in front of
The other when every bone in your body doesn’t want to move. It was tough too not to have coffee or water that morning. Just think when you get home later you can have all the water you want. And jello, pudding, and other soft soothing comfort foods. You will be okay you will get through this.

My dentist is an hour away too...I make sure I have my husband drive me. I hope you have someone who is going along with you for support. Either way please take your time In getting there.

My mom is going to take me and my husband is going to stay home with our son... Thanks for the support

I’m so happy you have a good support system there with you. Sending a virtual hug. I’ll be thinking of you, please let us know how you’re doing when you get a chance.
❤️

Sending good thoughts!!

I been to the dentists lot of times and each time I think should I cancelled it, been scared to go back for any problems I have had in between appointments etc.

How’d it go??? Hope you’re home and comfortable and that all went well. Please let us know.

How’d it go??? Hope you’re home and comfortable and that all went well. Please let us know.

It went pretty good better than I expected. I went in there pretty scared and they gave me nitrous and that didn't seem to help much. Then they gave me the IV and that helped out a lot and I went to sleep for most of it. Then they got to the bottom front teeth and I guess they were infected so when they went to take them out it hurt a lot more and I woke up for that part... It wasn't my worse experience and now I never have to worry about my teeth again! Next time I go to the dentist it will be to fit my dentures. I'm wondering how long it takes for the swelling to go down so I can get my dentures

It went pretty good better than I expected. I went in there pretty scared and they gave me nitrous and that didn't seem to help much. Then they gave me the IV and that helped out a lot and I went to sleep for most of it. Then they got to the bottom front teeth and I guess they were infected so when they went to take them out it hurt a lot more and I woke up for that part... It wasn't my worse experience and now I never have to worry about my teeth again! Next time I go to the dentist it will be to fit my dentures. I'm wondering how long it takes for the swelling to go down so I can get my dentures

I’m so happy for you that the worst is over and that it wasn’t as bad as you thought it would be. The IV Sedation is a God send, I never would have been able to do my extractions without it. It will take a couple of weeks for the initial swelling to go down so try to be patient as you heal. I had temporary dentures immediately after my extractions so I’m not sure on time frame for you to get your permanent ones. This will be a good question for your dentist when you go in for your next visit. A lot depends on the individual. In the meantime you can relax and give yourself a giant pat on the back for being brave and getting the worst of it over with. Well done! :)

Really well done. I'm about a week ahead as had my extractions last Friday. I have no pain now except a couple of little sore spots and am getting my temp dentures on Monday.

I wanted immediates but my teeth were such a mess and so loose they could not even attempt impressions beforehand. So I had those done Monday and a first try in today - in about an hour!

My timeline is a bit peculiar as normally you get immediates on the day or wait afew months until all healed. I said I needed teeth asap so my timeline is being super fast tracker (at a super cost!) But I'll then still not have my permanent set for 6 months or so.

Keep us posted on your progress. Loads of us in the same boat!

The worst is definitely over. Congrats on getting thought it and thanks for letting us know! Hoping you’re taking it easy and getting lots of rest today. For when, when I’ve had dental work that I’ve been really nervous about, I’ve wanted to sleep for weeks after because the anxiety really took its toll. Be kind to yourself as much as you’re able! Please keep us posted on how you’re doing.

I’m so happy for you that the worst is over and that it wasn’t as bad as you thought it would be. The IV Sedation is a God send, I never would have been able to do my extractions without it. It will take a couple of weeks for the initial swelling to go down so try to be patient as you heal. I had temporary dentures immediately after my extractions so I’m not sure on time frame for you to get your permanent ones. This will be a good question for your dentist when you go in for your next visit. A lot depends on the individual. In the meantime you can relax and give yourself a giant pat on the back for being brave and getting the worst of it over with. Well done! :)

Hi Anxious76, just wanted to tell you that I read a lot of posts in this site as I really suffer with anxiety at the dentist. I have noticed that you comment a lot on the posts and that you are so kind and empathetic, thank you for your kindness! It's really helped to read yours and other members posts to even feel I can go forward with the treatment I have to have?

Hello there! I’m so glad you got through this as that’s huge. :jump: Came back here tonight to see how you were doing. I wish you quick healing & here’s to that beautiful smile you will soon have !

Hi Anxious76, just wanted to tell you that I read a lot of posts in this site as I really suffer with anxiety at the dentist. I have noticed that you comment a lot on the posts and that you are so kind and empathetic, thank you for your kindness! It's really helped to read yours and other members posts to even feel I can go forward with the treatment I have to have?

It’s my pleasure to offer some comfort and support to those in a similar position I’m in. I think only those of us who have been there truly understand how it feels. This site is definitely a great place to go to when you’re feeling like the only person in the world with mouth issues and this level of anxiety. I’m glad you have found the support and encouragement you need and I’ll be looking in on your progress going forward. Again, hooray for you❣️