• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really nervous- front teeth

S

smnathan90

Hi Guys,

Excellent website- and has really helped me pluck up the courage to visit the dentist.....after 8 years!

I know my teeth arent too bad- chipped and worn- will definitely need a few fillings, which I am fine with (my own fault for not attending for so long)....

However- I am a smoker (not too heavy) and recently noticed my front 4 teeth have brown/black marks at the gumline-and am petrified they are beyond repair and will fall out/have to be pulled!

Most webistes seem to point at it being heavy tartar/calculus, but I am not so sure- my appointment is on the 31st of Jan and I have a hygenist appointment booked in the day after- however I cannot sleep with worrying about these four teeth. it is only right at the gum line and on some teeth looks greeny/brown, but the main one looks closer to dark grey/black. It feels slightly raised off the tooth and bumpy- no pain when touched.

I have attached a photo to show what I mean :( apologies if it looks awful!IMG_0261.jpg

First of all, hello to you and congrats on making a dentist appointment for yourself! You are certainly not on your own, nor do you have horribly bad teeth compared to what I had going on in my mouth. You definitely appear to have some plaque and calculus below the gum line, but I would think it can be handled through deep cleaning, but you will need to wait to see what your dentist says ultimately. In the meantime, try not to worry too much. From someone who had teeth so much worse than yours and who lost her four bottom front teeth along with all her others, I can at least give you the assurance that it does not appear yours are anywhere close to falling out. I’m also a former smoker, and quitting two year ago was the best thing I could do for myself other than starting on a journey back to dental health. Consider it. ? Please keep us posted on how you make out. You’ve got this!

Thank you so much for your kind response. I feel like im over thinking all the bad outcomes possible!

I have alright dental hygiene- brush twice a day, floss intermittently (getting better at it) and recently bought a waterpik- I really want to keep my teeth and have them in nice order.

From looking at my teeth myself apart from my four front teeth (is it weird that these are the only ones showing the black/grey staining at the bottom) I seem to have a bit of calculus behind my front 4 teeth, bad staining on the behind of my front teeth, plaque on my upper and lower molars (not too much though by the looks of things) and know I will need fillings in my two main molars (first ones on the bottom either side) as I can see a little black dot in each one (start of a cavity- about the size of a poppy seed?)- but all my molars seem to be quite ‘deep’if that makes sense?

Also my front teeth are quite chipped along the bottom- only small chips but uneven- can this be sorted?

After 8 Years now that I have booked my first appointment and hygienist I just want to go now- don’t feel nervous (that may change as it gets closer!) just relieved that I’ve finally bit the bullet , and really want to start making my teeth nice again!

Biggest fear is losing my teeth :( especially the front ones.

Nathan

Nathan,

Well done for making the appointments and for posting here.

It sounds like you have a good handle on what you are facing, and what needs to be done.

Like you say, you are facing a difficult situation. How difficult? You'll know more on the 31st.

Remember: you are the client and they are providing a service. You are welcome, encouraged even, to politely say "no", up through quickly excusing yourself without explanation.

That being said, I think you're going to make it through this. I'll certainly be interested to hear how it goes. Keep us posted.

Thank you so much for your kind response. I feel like im over thinking all the bad outcomes possible!

I have alright dental hygiene- brush twice a day, floss intermittently (getting better at it) and recently bought a waterpik- I really want to keep my teeth and have them in nice order.

From looking at my teeth myself apart from my four front teeth (is it weird that these are the only ones showing the black/grey staining at the bottom) I seem to have a bit of calculus behind my front 4 teeth, bad staining on the behind of my front teeth, plaque on my upper and lower molars (not too much though by the looks of things) and know I will need fillings in my two main molars (first ones on the bottom either side) as I can see a little black dot in each one (start of a cavity- about the size of a poppy seed?)- but all my molars seem to be quite ‘deep’if that makes sense?

Also my front teeth are quite chipped along the bottom- only small chips but uneven- can this be sorted?

After 8 Years now that I have booked my first appointment and hygienist I just want to go now- don’t feel nervous (that may change as it gets closer!) just relieved that I’ve finally bit the bullet , and really want to start making my teeth nice again!

Biggest fear is losing my teeth :( especially the front ones.

Nathan

You have recession of your gum. So you have lost some bone that holds in your teeth. If you don't want to lose your teeth then don't smoke at all.

You have recession of your gum. So you have lost some bone that holds in your teeth. If you don't want to lose your teeth then don't smoke at all.

Wow this reply has really worried me! Is it that bad?! I’m really worried now :(

In regards to smoking I have cut down a lot! From 20 a day a few years ago to 3-4 a day now. I know I need to cut it out completley and will do soon.

Will it stop with a deep clean? and if I stop smoking and maintain good oral hygiene can I stop it getting worse?

I know I’ve got myself into this mess but is it really that bad?

Please don't worry to much, they really don't look that bad at all, I am convinced you won't loose them, my front two bottom teeth were in a absolutely dreadful state, when they were extracted and yours look nothing like mine did.

just an update for you all!

Just back from the dentist- was nervous but held it together well :)

Checked my pockets, did bitewing x rays, and the outcome........

4 fillings in my molars and a good clean by the hygienist. My pockets at the front teeth were all 2’s and 3’s, think some around the molars were higher but the dentist wasn’t concerned and said whilst I did have some recession/bone loss that with the clean and my good oral upkeep that this won’t get any worse and is not anything to worry about at this time.

Also said considering I hadn’t been to the dentist in so long my teeth were in good shape. But now I have bit the bullet and got the first visit out of the way and know that the outcome is no way near as bad as I thought I am so releved!

Back