• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken tooth care?

M

mumonashoestring

I've just broken a tooth - again :( It's a molar that broke on one side at the gumline last year, the decay was drilled out and a filling was put in sort of 'levelling off' the break. I was supposed to go back for a second set of xrays but the practice cancelled my appointment (by text) and I forgot to make a new one. Now the other 'side' of it has broken off at the gumline. My dentist isn't open til Monday and none of the local out of hours services are taking phone calls til tomorrow - what's the best way to look after it til then? I'm wary of brushing - the filling hasn't fallen out and I don't want it to! I don't want an infection starting either...

I've just broken a tooth - again :( It's a molar that broke on one side at the gumline last year, the decay was drilled out and a filling was put in sort of 'levelling off' the break. I was supposed to go back for a second set of xrays but the practice cancelled my appointment (by text) and I forgot to make a new one. Now the other 'side' of it has broken off at the gumline. My dentist isn't open til Monday and none of the local out of hours services are taking phone calls til tomorrow - what's the best way to look after it til then? I'm wary of brushing - the filling hasn't fallen out and I don't want it to! I don't want an infection starting either...

I would suggest you avoid eating on it to prevent it getting worse. You can buy repair kits from the pharmacy to prevent food packing and also smooth away the roughness. You should see a dentist urgently.

Thanks, I'm steering well clear of chewing on that side - particularly as the filling dropped out this morning ? There isn't a rough edge as such. Last year the 'front' of the tooth broke off at the gumline, last night most of the back broke off at the gumline so now I have one 'spike' of tooth remaining next to the adjacent molar, and a sort of vile tasting crumbly mess at the gumline. I'll be phoning my dentist first thing tomorrow (and sticking to soup til then) - I have corsodyl to rinse with after every meal/drink.

Then it'll just be a question of screwing up enough courage to go and let the dentist loose on me!

Back