• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous already

J

JAB

I have always been afraid of the dentist. My next appt is on the 22nd, and my anxiety is already driving me nuts. The dentist said there are several teeth that they are watching. That makes me really nervous that I will need more work done.

At times I just feel trapped. I've been seeing this dentist for several years, but I still don't trust him to do any dental work. Unfortunately there are few options in this area. There is one area dentist that has all the latest technology and appears to be very trustworthy, but his hour are so limited that it's unlikely I could ever get an appt.

I guess I will continue with the current dentist, but I really wish he would use more modern technology and would be better at listening and managing pain. At least he's convenient in location and hours. :scared::shame:

I have always been afraid of the dentist. My next appt is on the 22nd, and my anxiety is already driving me nuts. The dentist said there are several teeth that they are watching. That makes me really nervous that I will need more work done.

At times I just feel trapped. I've been seeing this dentist for several years, but I still don't trust him to do any dental work. Unfortunately there are few options in this area. There is one area dentist that has all the latest technology and appears to be very trustworthy, but his hour are so limited that it's unlikely I could ever get an appt.

I guess I will continue with the current dentist, but I really wish he would use more modern technology and would be better at listening and managing pain. At least he's convenient in location and hours. :scared::shame:

Your level of trust in your dentist and comfort level is what is most important. If you don’t like your current dentist it is completely worth the time and effort to find one you do feel comfortable with. If you like that other dentist you mentioned it would be worth it to make an appointment even if you do need to wait a bit. You can see this dentist for your cleaning in the meantime. Give it a try and see.

I agree with Anxious. I wouldn't let a dentist I don't trust anywhere near my mouth but really it depends on how badly you need to see one at the moment. Maybe see what dates/times they have available at the other just to make sure? There's always a possibility someone canceled or rescheduled or something.

This is just a cleaning and exam. I only have one day available each month that I could get an appt. That means I would have to wait at least a month before I could get any work done. That would be one long, nightmarish month knowing what is coming. I need to be able to have work done asap so I can avoid the panic of waiting. Waiting is always the worst part.

Back