• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Weird pos-op period

N

Nerako

On Thursday, I got my left wisdom tooth extracted. The exctraction was rather complicated because the tooth was deep in the jaw. The surgeon put stitches on the wound and prescribed antibiotics. I have been following her instructions vigorously, I do not smoke, do not use straws, eat soft foods, rinse my mouth with a prescribed mouthwash after every meal. Thursday and Friday were good. There wasn't even much pain. Saturday night I started to feel throbbing but no excruciating pain. There was some oozing. Later I got a fever (38 C, 100.4 F) but it only lasted til Sunday. I went to see another dentist who was abvailable and she said the wound looked nothing sinister to her. Since my face was swollen, she said it didn't look too bad, either. Sunday was good, there was some pain but nothing ibuprophen or paracetamol would not take away. I was even able to do some work. Today is more or less the same, but the swelling is still there and I still wake up to some pain. Again, the pain is not too bad. Just half an hour ago I was reading something and i got this weird sharper pain that went from my jaw to the temple. I took a 400 ibuprophen tablet and it went away in 10 minutes or so. I don't know if it could be a start of dry socket because I cannot see under the stiches. the swelling is still there. Feels like my jaw is harder near the extraction. Could it be an abscess? (The tooth was not abscessed). If it were infection, wouldn't the fever be persistant? I'm seeing my surgeon on Thursday. Should I be concerned? I don't feel too bad in general except for the fact that I am slightly down because I can't eat my normal diet and take medicine every day. Does it seem normal on the 4th/5th day after a wisdom tooth extraction? I'm on the verge of panicking there might be an infection or an abscess or a dry socket but I guess a singleibuprophen tablet woould not work so well in such cases? Any ideas? :) THANK YOU :) [sorry for mistakes, English is not my mother tongue]

Just noticed that my wound now has a hole. Panicking, though no pain yet. :( God.

Back