• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

25 Years No Dentist ---- until today

D

dentistblah

I'll keep the background short. Not sure when my fear began....perhaps bad oral surgery in middle school, maybe just built up over embarrassment over not going.

So, last fall I was flossing and a tiny piece of so tooth came off. I just kind of ignored it until last week it started turning grey. Haven't slept in a week, terrified to call....like the palms sweaty, can't eat, kind of nervous. I researched dentists in the area, trolled this site, probably nearly broke Google searching , "grey tooth" "bad teeth" "dental fear", etc.

Got the nerve to call, said I hadn't been in awhile....explained issue. They set an appointment for one. Was shaking like a leaf when I got there. Didn't cry!! Nicest dentist and hygienists ever. After X-rays and exams, here's the verdict.
*needed root canal and crown on grey tooth
*three small cavities on top teeth
*should consider getting wisdom teeth out
*gums look fine, bottom teeth, no issues at all.

That's it.

Root canal was painlessish, got one filling, didn't feel it. Have to go back to get actual crown and get other two cavities filled. NOT BAD AT ALL, except for numbness.

i can't believe I am on the other side of the hell of this dental phobia. My mouth may be a wee bit sore, but I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders.

if I can go, you can too.

love,
dentistblah
:jump:

Oh wow that's awesome. So glad it was a rather painless experience for you. Congrats on getting through it. Not sure I will ever get over my fear despite going every 6 months. It's never gotten easier for me. Wish you the best of luck.:jump:

Back