• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First look with no teeth

I

Islandersgirl74

I’m 43 and need a full set of bottom dentures. Not getting I.T done til summer but petrified already. I will be getting immediate dentures. But, what did you think when you first saw yourself with no teeth? Horrified? Did you face just look different? Did you just accept how you looked with no teeth? I’m so scared

It's been nearly two weeks. I still haven't looked and no plans to. I avoided mirrors for years so it's just the norm for me.

I didn't have any problem with that because I couldn't really see that they were missing. Unless you're smiling broadly, often most of your teeth are naturally covered by your lips. When I did intentionally make a big grin though, it didn't bother me at all because I was expecting to see just the gums.

I'm 30 and to be honest I'm at a point where I'm really not worried about how I'd look with no teeth... I'd just be happy to have all these broken, aching things out of my head. I hope everything goes ok and you feel better.

I’m 41 and I have been without teeth since September. I don’t look at myself without. No need to really.

I’m 41 and I have been without teeth since September. I don’t look at myself without. No need to really.

But you have to when you take them out to clean them right?

But you have to when you take them out to clean them right?

No. I take them out, brush and rinse them, put them in the container with the cleansing tablet, clean my mouth, rinse, then step away and head to bed. I wash my face and put on my moisturizing cream before I take them out at night so it’s the last thing I do. In the morning I go to the sink and give them a rinse after I clean my mouth again, apply adhesive and put them in, all without looking in the mirror.

It feels better to see no teeth than broken bits of teeth.

It feels better to see no teeth than broken bits of teeth.

I agree with you there. I couldn’t stand the sight of myself with my broken teeth.

It was hard for me when I had my front teeth removed. Looking in the mirror was a shock. But with that said, I was also very aware that now my body had lost a source of infection. No more bacteria seeping into my bloodstream due to infected teeth. I reminded myself that even though my appearance was hard to take, my mouth was now healthy. No more bad breath was a plus as well and in all honesty my partial looked much better than the teeth that were removed.

Back