• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried Teeth Extractions Will Ruin My Face

F

FuzzEV

Some months ago during a basic checkup at my dentist (first one in years) they took an X-ray of my teeth and recommended that I get my bottom two wisdom teeth removed. The one of my left side grew in fine, isn't crowded or anything but on my right it kind of grew in sideways into the gum.

Now at the moment I don't feel pain or anything and they're not deteriorating but they told me they could become a problem in the future and it would be best to get rid of them now.

Since then I’ve become kind of paranoid about my teeth. I’ve been checking them obsessively in the mirror because I think I keep imaging something’s wrong with them.

Of course I’m also suspicious. "They're probably just trying to make some money off me" > my line of thinking. I under NO circumstances want to remove any teeth if I don’t have to.

I did further research online and found some worrying "after-effects" of teeth extractions if you want to call it that: Ex. https://maxmylooks.com/teeth-extractions-the-alarming-way-they-change-your-face/

According to that article the bone in your face shrinks over time which can cause more problems in the future messing up more teeth etc, etc.

What do you guys think. Is there any legitimacy behind those concerns? I’m still relatively young and I’m worried that over time if I get my two back teeth removed it will change the way I look in the future and basically make me “uglier” for lack of a better word. But at the same time I don’t want to hold off and then deal with the consequences in the future because I didn’t take action now. If I can AVOID having to get surgery I would highly prefer that but I’m also worried if I don’t and right now I’m basically confused on what to do.

It is true that the bone resorbs when there is no tooth to "support" it. That bone resorption is what causes the facial change. Whether or not you'll look "uglier" I think is subjective and also depends on what you kind of facial structure you are starting out with.

As for other teeth drifting into the space of the extracted tooth, I think that depends on where in the mouth was that extracted tooth from. If it's a wisdom tooth, I think that the drifting is not likely because of 1) our teeth tend to "collapse" or move forward towards the front of our mouth as we age, which i've read is just part of the ageing process and that's how our mouths age, and 2) usually wisdom teeth are extracted because there wasn't enough space for them to erupt properly in the mouth in the first place.

But, I'm no professional, and these are just my uneducated guesses.

Whether you should to go ahead and remove your wisdom teeth, I think you'll need to weigh the pros and cons before deciding. I always believe that there is no such thing as a perfect treatment plan, as there will be risks for every medical procedure.

Personally, I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed at the ripe old age of 34. The bottom ones on both sides were impacted, but did not give my ANY problems. But then I found out by accident that the impacted wisdom tooth on the right side had caused a cavity under the gum at the root of my 2nd molar. It was a small cavity, but because of the location, it was close to the nerve. My dentist managed to clean it out and did a filling, but did warned me that it's only a matter of time when the nerve dies or begins to die, and then I would need a root canal or an extraction. My first ever cavity in 30 years.

So if you ask me, yes, I wished I had gotten my wisdom teeth out earlier, now I'm constantly stressing over when my molar is going to die. :(

Thank you very much for the comment. I don't know why but just reading it made me feel much better!

Back