• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Insurance

A

ashley89

Does anyone know of any type of good dental insurance? I have to have my wisdom teeth, and 5 molars removed! I have ameritas through work but the cap is $1000. They said anything I have done has to be paid in full. I have had care credit before and would rather not do that because I'm afraid I can't afford the payment. My teeth are bothering me again and I need to do something!

Last edited:
Hi. We have Delta Dental through my husbands employer and our cap per year is $1500. I know how hard it is to come up with a large amount of money at once. My son just had his wisdom teeth removed and it was $2500, they wanted it all upfront the day of surgery, and we had to wait over a month for reimbursement. My own mouth has cost us the price of a car but that’s another story...we had to take a loan through lending club, and the only positive is that there’s no interest for a year. Also it’s a new year so we can get another $1500 off the total cost of my treatment.

Call and google around but I think generally that most dental insurance cap at or around $2,000 for the year per individual. You may be able to do better than what you have now though.
I’m sorry for the financial stress this is causing you, in addition to your pain. I think it’s disgusting what it costs to be healthy in this country.

I’m going through this now. The bill they gave me will be $9,000. Doing some of the work over the summer because I just don’t have I.T. So I guess technically there are no payment plans if everything needs to be paid in full by the time you get the procedure correct? So what does I.T mean when a dentist says they have financial planning? Maybe I’ve been out of the loop for so long but not understanding.

Several years ago I bought a plan from Cigna that my old dentist took. it gave a decent discount. and was low payments a month maybe 15.00 a month at the time maybe 6 years ago. I did end up saving quite a bit but they didn't give any immediate benefits just discount..

My place also has a special plan they give around a 15% discount for those that buy the plan on all the services they offer so it can add up... I saved about 300-400 on my implant alone and only paid 59 for the year.. so it really made up for it..I'm jsut really glad my place has this.. but.. my old place used to give me a 5% discount for paying cash... not near the 15% but... its something. I guess.

hope you find something. it is so expensive!! I feel blessed to be in a place that is very honest and fair right now.

I’m going through this now. The bill they gave me will be $9,000. Doing some of the work over the summer because I just don’t have I.T. So I guess technically there are no payment plans if everything needs to be paid in full by the time you get the procedure correct? So what does I.T mean when a dentist says they have financial planning? Maybe I’ve been out of the loop for so long but not understanding.

Every dentist office is little different with the way they handle payment. I would give a call and ask some questions regarding the financing and the plans they offer. It may be the financial planning they offer is through a third party such as Care Credit or Lending Club, in which case they approve you for a certain loan amount based on your credit score. Usually you will have no interest for a year or sometimes 18 months in paying it back. If we weren’t able to get the loan through Lending Club I wouldn’t have been able to have my work done, so I totally understand the dilemma you’re having.