• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cracked tooth?

J

jaycapz

I apologize this is a repeat of my other thread within support. I probably should have posted this here, as its more a dental question/concern/fear.

I went for my last cleaning and check 3 months ago, no issues found (first in a long time). However, 3 weeks ago I bit into an olive pit which cracked a filling in my top back molar. Dentist replaced the filling, no issue there. Then a couple of days later i decided time to chew on that side again, i still felt a slight pain when I bit down. I did not feel it right away, but more when I hit a specific spot on tooth. No issue with hot or cold, only when chomping down. The pain appears to be coming from the tooth next to the one just fixed (molar #1 was fixed, so now its between #13-#12 area), which also has a amalgram filling. It doesn't appear to have a crack like I've seen in my other metal fillings. My mind is wandering everywhere from root canals or worse, just cause of my bad anxiety. I am going to call to go this week, again :(. I'm hoping it's not something worse, could it be just another simple filling replacement? I don't see any visible chips or cracks on surface with my little mirror, or signs of decay at the surface. Hope to God no decay under. I am trying to be logical, this all started the same timeframe I bit down and broke the other filling. My dentist did a bitewing xray, strange he didnt pick up anything. Not sure he looked that far up. He also never saw anything 3 months ago when they did a full routing check of my existing fillings. Never had pain in that spot before, don't have any pain as i type. Unless as I mentioned, I bite down in that spot.
Just freaking out, can't sleep, working up courage to call within 72 hours. I am looking to get general thought about my situation.
Thank you for taking the time to read, I appreciate it. Gonna go keep freaking out now.

Last edited:
Hi I just wanted to say that I have recently been dealing with a cracked molar and understand what you are going through. Do you have any answers yet?

Mine started exactly like yours. I notice it hurt to bite down on hard things in a certain spot. My dentist said one of my cusps was broken off and fixed it with a filling. It actually worked but a crown was recommended due to the overall structure of the tooth being weak.

My story unfortunately is not going well at the moment. I don't want to freak you out as I'm sure yours will be fine :) But please whatever you find out, get a second opinion before doing anything.

I hope you are able to find a resolution soon.

Take care :)

The biting pain in the neighboring tooth started after the repair on the other? I wonder if it could be a bite issue. Sometimes when we get new fillings or crowns it changes our bite due to them being a little higher or lower than our original bite, this can cause varying amounts of pain and discomfort. The dentist will usually have you chomp and grind on a colored piece of paper that reveals high spots in the bite, then they can adjust it by shaving a little of the filling off to give you relief.

If it is a crack, most cracks don't show up on x-rays unfortunately. Did the dentist have you bite down on a stick-like tool in different locations? It's a good way to detect cracks. For home tests I roll/twist up a sheet of paper towel really tight (so it sorta looks like a carrot) and I bite down on it. If you feel pain upon the RELEASE of the bite, it is more likely to be a crack.

As far as the root canal stuff, I wouldn't worry too much about that at the moment unless, I think it would be super sensitive to heat if you were in root canal territory, but I'm not dentist so I could be wrong.

Good luck.

Back