View Poll Results: mechanical or manual - which work better, are better for your teeth

Voters
    55. You may not vote on this poll
    • mechanical - Oral B, Waterpik, etc

36 65.45%
    • manual - cheap, disposable in 3 monts, etc

19 34.55%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: regular, manual toothbrushes VS Mechanical

Default regular, manual toothbrushes VS Mechanical

which are better, in your opinion??
      manuals, which I think don't always get everywhere to clean teeth
      or mechanicals (example - OralB Vitality, etc) Which do seem/ feel like it makes my teeth cleaner after...

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; Teach him to use the internet - he'll never bother you again.

Default Re: regular, manual toothbrushes VS Mechanical

I don't know that mechanical tooth brushes are better than properly-used manual toothbrushes. However, I've been using an electric toothbrush for a few months now (since I started going to the dentist again). There is actually another positive side effect to using an electric toothbrush - it's enabled me to get used to having a vibrating, buzzing, odd-sounding dental implement in my mouth on my own terms. It's enabled me to get used to the feeling of something vibrating against my teeth and, consequently, has really helped to alleviate any fears I may have had of the dentist's tools. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by vict4ia View Post
      IThere is actually another positive side effect to using an electric toothbrush - it's enabled me to get used to having a vibrating, buzzing, odd-sounding dental implement in my mouth on my own terms. It's enabled me to get used to the feeling of something vibrating against my teeth and, consequently, has really helped to alleviate any fears I may have had of the dentist's tools. Who knew?
      It's interesting that you say that because I feel the same way. I can't say with certainty that my fears have been alleviated but the next time I need work done I'll know for sure. I do know that my cleanings don't bother me as much as the initial ones did so I take that as a positive sign!!! I actually use both manual and electric. I use the electric before bed and if I've eaten something sticky and the rest of the time I use my manual. Best of both worlds!!!

OralB (one of the Professional range, don't know which one exactly). I tend to brush only once a day (before going to sleep) but thoroughly - according to the research, that's all it takes and besides, I'm lazy . Seems to do the trick though, and if it works, don't fix it.... I'm not very talented when it comes to manual toothbrushes, it seems to require a lot of natural dexterity (which is sorely missing - I always marvel at people in airport toilets swivel those manual toothbrushes in textbook fashion . Amazing!!!).
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices

I like gadgets, but regarding toothbrushes I trust my dental hygienist's advice and use manual. The one she recommended me doesn't look appealing and sophisticated, but it has very soft high quality bristles and when I tried it I liked it and at the moment I wouldn't change.

Both my dentist and my hygienist say there's nothing like a gentle, thorough, manual brushing. And because they do their best in helping me to keep my teeth healthy, I do my best in following their advices. Some of my friends who are in the dental profession try mechanical too, because they either get them from sales persons or buy them to test them, but they allways go back to manual. Knowing that I am not tempted to invest and experiment.

The question was "which one is better". I can't compare, because I have never used a mechanical one. But I think that no matter what toothbrush one uses, the most important thing is to learn how to brush well.

I have used electric toothbrush for years and never have issues with decay whatsoever. I use the Oral B (blue/white and comes with charger)...my twin boys also use Oral B electric for awhile now (they will be 11 soon) but at 9 I finally got them in to the dentist in the fear they'd have all these cavities and I'd look like a bad mom but with good intentions...low and behold we ended up doing a dance in circles by end of their first visit with not one cavity at all!!! One of the girls there said that there was proof that by using electric toothbrushes gave a 37% better chance of cleaning then with manuals. Now thats just what was said and Im sure there are many opinions but because of that I truly am a believer now as well as like I said I never have had trouble with decay. Last filling I had was just to put a white composite into a silver one from back when I was 11 or 12 and thats simply because the new dentist I found didnt like almagram fillings. Hope I did the right thing by letting her do that but...anyways I do like my Oral B. I also go online to order the little pointed head one too that can get into the crevices in and around the gum line gently.

I do keep a manual all the time and I use that to brush gently up on the very top and crevices of my gums at the very tip top where that "stuff" I forget what they call it but to gently get that out of there....plus to do the roof of my mouth and tongue gently. My kids also keep manuals for those or travel times.

I use a Sonicare electric toothbrush now but have used other mechanical and manual brushes before. Before i got the sonicare I really thought they were useless and that the $7 battery operated brushes were just as good. I recently used my old battery powered one when I was staying overnight somewhere and wished that I had packed the sonicare instead, so for me I think that the mechanical ones are better and there is a difference between the low and high end models. When I asked my hygenist about toothbrushes she said that they see great results with mechanical ones and even the lower end models do help.

I used an electric toothbrush for a couple of years and I found that the head was too deep to clean my front bottom teeth properly. I guess I should have tried a child's version which may have suited my small mouth better, but as it was an electric toothbrush I was convinced that it was 'good' for me so must be the better option and I persisted. I also think I became a lazy brusher, assuming that the toothbrush would do the work for me. As a result I wasn't cleaning my bottom front teeth properly and they developed a lot of tartar build up, which stayed there for a while due to not going to the dentist at that time. When I finally did go, the hygienist gave me a very small and soft child's manual toothbrush which I started to use and I immediately noticed that I was able to brush my teeth much better, particularly the bottom front ones. As a result at my last check-up I was given a lot of praise by the hygienist for now having great oral hygiene (I'm sure the flossing helped too of course). My only problem is it's really hard to find a child's toothbrush that doesn't have cartoon characters on it. I've only found one brand that has plain ones so they're not very easy to find, but I can live with that as it was a great recommendation and I never would have thought of it myself.

My dentist recommeneded the oral b triumph to me he uses it himself and my teeth and gums feel so much healthy bit expensive but well worth it !!!
      emma
      We have nothing to fear but fear itself - Roosevelt

I use both and lol could probably stand to brush longer with both as well. Electric is an older Oral B. JessicaB, that's an interesting idea! My dentist said that tooth way in the back behind my rct tooth needs to be tended to better and perhaps a smaller brush would make that easier for me to do--I'll have to look into that.

Mona
      "Never think you don't have the power to overcome your fear and accomplish something wonderful!" Shared by fellow forum member Cherio45.