• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swollen Face

bear79

bear79

I have just woken up this morning and the left hand side of my face is swollen next to my nose. Its really noticeable as my 5 year old said "one side of your face is fat mummy..."

The tooth directly below it was throbbing yesterday so i know i have an infection. When i went to bed last night i put salt on the gum to numb the pain and it helped.

The tooth isnt throbbing this morning but right at the top where my gum is its sore and the swelling is noticeable.

Will it go down on its own or do i need antib's?

I'm no expert but if I were you I would go my dentist pronto to get it checked out and then if you need antibiotics they will be able to prescribe them. :grouphug:

It sounds like you had an abscess flare up resulting in the swelling. As Brit recommended, go see your dentist as soon as possible, but if you can't get in fairly soon, they might give you a course of antibiotics to help take care of things. These areas can swell up and subside, but it needs to be looked at and addressed ASAP.

Possibilities of treatment depend on what is causing the swelling, but they may include a root canal, a retreatment of a failing root canal if there is one there, periodontal treatment if it's related to a gum abscess, or even an extraction.

I will give them a ring... £55 for an emergency appt is a bit excessive though isnt it?!

In the meantime can i do anything to reduce the swelling?

I will give them a ring... £55 for an emergency appt is a bit excessive though isnt it?!

In the meantime can i do anything to reduce the swelling?

I don't think that fee sounds too bad but if you are on a low fixed income any amount is going to be unwelcome. Actually compared to a tradesman's emergency call out charge it's pretty low.

Ice maybe to reduce the swelling? Good luck :XXLhug:

PS If you want free antibiotics, you could go to A&E maybe or your GP, assuming you are in the UK. I think both are likely to suggest you see your dentist though.

Last time i went to the GP for antib's for dentist related problem he told me to find a dentist! He said it was like asking an electrician to fix a plumbing problem!!

£55 on a stay at home mums wage is alot of money!!

Thank you for your suggestions though am going to put ice on it now and think about giving the dentist a call... :hidesbehindsofa:

One more thing; do you think take ibrophen will help reduce the swelling?

I can't see an absess in my mouth either...

I think i have this; i found it on the nhs direct website just now...

Maxillary sinusitis
This is an infection of the small, air-filled spaces behind your cheekbones, known as the maxillary sinuses. It can be caused by the spread of bacteria from a dental abscess. Maxillary sinusitis is not serious, but it can cause fever, pain and tenderness across your cheeks. Often it will clear up without treatment, but if necessary, antibiotics may be prescribed.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it certainly doesn't sound like sinusitis. The sinus is a space totally enclosed by bone, it's almost impossible to have a facial swelling caused by infection in the sinus. It's far more likely to be a tooth related problem. Sorry.

I went to the dentist today and the swelling has gone down loads so she didnt need to prescribe me antib's; she said that she can see the tooth thats causing the problems and so will fix that problem soon.

Thank you for your replies everyone :)

Hi there,

I had this exact same thing 3 weeks ago...my cheek was sooooo sore and tender over the weekend and I thought the same as you-Maxillary Sinusitus because I am prone to sinus problems but after 2-3 days of the cheek becoming tender, the abscess just 'appeared'. It was over no tooth though as I don't have any there, it was on my gum.

Anyway, 3 weeks later, the lump thing (whether it is an abscess or not I dont know because it doesnt hurt anymore), just flares up, then drains/bursts, then flares up again within 24 hours. This has been happening constantly for the 3 weeks now.

I refuse to take anti-biotics though and have just started homeopathic remedies.

Did your swelling turn into an abscess in the end?

No, the swelling has gone down and there is no absess in its place. Even the tooth doesnt hurt anymore...

Back