• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temp Crown

B

BAD2THEBONES39

I got my temp crown on this morning, It was worse than I thought it would be! I freaked out!! Its the front two teeth (8 and 9), anyways I got through the painfull shots, the drilling, gross impressions, and yet more drilling to finally have the temps on and now they feel funny, I have taken tylenol to help with the little pain that I have now and that helps. I feel like they are cemented to the roof of my mouth as well as my gums up front where they should be, I can rub my tounge on the top of my mouth and feel what seems to be extra cement, I cant feel the back of the temps only the what seems like excess cement. Should this be there or should I be able to feel from the top of my mouth and the back of the temps? I thought they would feel like teeth?

also whats it gonna feel like when I go back to have them removed? Will there be more shots in the painful front? more drilling? I just want to be prepared incase I have to go through what I did today...

I will briefly relay my experience. Mine was on a molar so I don't know if an incisor is any different. And I don't know if there's more than one procedure that a dentist can use.

My temp felt weird at first when I'd run my tongue over it. It was like there was "junk" on it. I don't know if it was cement or what, but whatever it was it went away and then it felt OK. Before the crown was placed, I had to see my dentist to get prepped. I'm not sure exactly what he did, but it had to with prepping the gums I believe. I did get a shot to numb the area and the gums were sore for a few days, but not too bad. A week later, I went back to get the crown placed. I was numbed again. He popped off the temp, which took no effort at all really, and then put in the crown. There was no additional drilling. Like I said, it might be different because yours is in the front, but hopefully my experience can help you a little bit. Good luck!

Yes you are feeling rough margins and maybe excess temporay cement around these temporary crowns. It can feel uncomfortable and a bit awkward but so long as you are not in pain- you will be ok for the next week or 2 until the nice snooth new porcelain crowns are placed. It is likely that the dentist will give you a little more anaesthetic, however not always needed. The temps may just 'pull' off- or sometimes they need to be drilled. There will be no more drilling of the teeth however- so all in all a much easier visit next time!

Thanks so much for replies! I really hope my temps just come off easy so a shot is not needed, its very uncomfortable right in the front but whatever needs to be done I understand my dentist is only trying to help and make my teeth better.

Back