• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Xanax for dental work- dosage question

Charity

Charity

Hello....
I'm new to the forum-- I'm here because I have some work scheduled for Monday morning and I'm as scared as can be expected! I had a very traumatic extraction a couple of years ago, and this will be my first time back since then-- with a NEW dentist, of course. This place seems really nice so far. Anyway, when they found out that I already take Xanax for anxiety on a daily basis, they said I should ask my regular doctor what a good dose would be for me to take Monday morning to provide a bit of sedation and relaxation to help me through the procedures. He said to take 3 mg. This seems high to me, as I only take 1/2 mg normally. I definitely want to be as out-of-it as possible, though, so if this really won't hurt me, I'll totally do it. Does anyone here know about taking 3mg of Xanax at once? Will it help a lot? Will it have any bad effects too?
Thanks for your help.....
Charity

I also have taken xanax for an anxiety disorder, .25 mg. 3 times a day. Now only take it occasionally, but going to the dentist the first visit for this last round of treatment I took .75mg. before I went and was very relaxed. Had nitrous oxide that visit also for an extraction and never felt anxious.
3mg. sounds like a high dose but I would certainly follow my Dr.'s orders.

I take Xanax too. I'm on an as-needed basis at .25 mg. I have heard of people being on 3 mg doses, but it probably really depends on the person. The dosage I'm on is effective for me. It got me through an extraction without IV sedation or gas. If you're doctor said 3 mg is OK, I would assume that it's safe. I wouldn't drive, though.

Yes, I'm definitely having my husband drive me!!
I also take Xanax fairly regularly for anxiety, along with Celexa for depression. I normally take 1/2 mg of Xanax in the evenings before bed, and then occasionally in a stressful time during the day I might have another 1/2 mg as well. I've never taken 3mg all at once before, and I'm mainly concerned because of an experience I had quite a few years ago with Ativan. I'm perfectly able to take Ativan for anxiety at low doses; 1/4 mg is perfect. Once, in an emergency room setting, I was given 2mg of Ativan. It caused me to hallucinate for several hours, with extremely vivid and convincing visuals. There were two moons in the sky, and an ordinary highway snaked into several intertwined rivers, and small green and purple dots of light crawled out of the wall, marched around in a perfect square, and crawled back in. Interesting enough, but it also left me feeling quite sick and dizzy. If this drug, Ativan-- which was very helpful in small doses-- could have such a crazy effect on me in a higher dosage, I can't help fearing something similar from this suggested dosage of Xanax. Any specific experience with this?

Oh yeah-- they did say that they'll have the nitrous oxide available for me as well. Any thoughts on combination with the Xanax? I'm afraid of winding up nauseous or something... ?? Sorry-- I'm TOTALLY phobic since the one procedure I had in the past!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Xanax and nitrous usually work well together. As for the doseage, I'm afraid this drug isn't available in the UK and I can't really comment. Maybe ZZZDentist could chime in here?

I got nitrous one time and I too was afraid it would make me sick. My dentist said to just not eat a lot right before the appointment. I was on a very low dosage of nitrous, though. I'm really small so they were afraid to give me too much. But, I ended up not getting nauseous so it was all right.

As for your experience with the Ativan, you just might not agree with it in high doses. I have a co-worker that has anxiety problems like me. While I do well with the Xanax, it did not work for her. It made her feel too weird. But, she does quite well with the Ativan. Like I've said before, I really think it depends on the person. That's why they make different drugs IMO. Your experience sounds downright scary! :o

I'm not a doctor or a dentist, but if I were in your shoes, I would take less than the 3mg, but higher than what you normally take. Since you have that bad memory you might make yourself get worked up and have a bad episode again, if that makes sense. Like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Anyway, that's what I would do for myself. I've come to find out that if I follow my gut, things work out OK. If your gut is saying not to take 3 mg, I would listen to it. If you're already having anxiety about going to the dentist, don't add to it by worrying about having an episode with a high dose of Xanax.

Question: When your doctor told you to take 3 mg, did he know about your episode with the Ativan?

Good thoughts. I certainly don't want to have that anxiety on top of what I already have to deal with!!
When I asked my doctor, I just sort of caught him in the hallway (I work at the same hospital) and asked him quickly, like "HEY, quick question-- I'm going to the dentist...." You get the picture. 3mg is probably a perfectly safe dosage, but each person is different, and I know a little bit about myself. I think I'm going to take 2mg instead of 3.
You're going today too? We'll send thoughts of moral support to each other. :)

Sorry, I have no clue about the dosage. I've never prescribed Xanax for a patient before, and I don't run a "sleep" clinic. I'm naturally pretty sleepy myself so that seems to rub off on people in a relaxing sort of way. Zzzzz :sleep:

Well, in case anyone is reading this thread to find out for themselves-- it was fine. Just the right amound of sedation and relaxation, no nausea. I should have known just to listen to my MD-- he's always been great about everything else so far!

Back