• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary Dentures

scaredstiff

scaredstiff

If total extraction is made and dentures are required, how is it possible to have temporary immediate dentures fitted? Surely the gums are too sore and bleeding for this to be possible? I raise the question because I will possibly be in this position and don't want to be walking around without teeth but have been assured that temps can be fitted. Surely I would be in agony having something sitting on top of bleeding gums?

Gordon or Pars will be along soon. :-*

In the meantime, I am not a dentist, but as far as I know this is pretty normal procedure. Maybe you should ask your dentist to fully explain the why's and wherefores before the procedure, so you know what to expect.

When my mother got all her top teeth out she came home with an immediate denture. She said her mouth was no 'sorer' with them in, or out. In fact she preferred having them in, as she felt more protected and the gum feels supported as it heals. Your gums will shrink and change shape as you heal and your permanent denture will be moulded to shape to your healed gums. My mum was told having a denture in place helps the gums to heal faster and I can understand this having had a huge tooth extracted.

After my extraction, the gum does not bleed for long. I had very little blood loss. By the time I got back to the waiting room and certainly by the time I got to the car the bleeding had stopped completely. Then the clot forms and the sockets are protected. With a denture to cover the sockets, there is maybe less chance of infection.

You will probably be told to rinse your gums with salt water or a mouthwash, but as far as I know you should keep your dentures in all the time.

Youve probably read this, but here's the link anyway

and you could try googling 'immediate dentures'

Best of luck with it all
:grouphug:

Hi :) I had all of my top teeth and several bottom teeth removed several years ago. For the top, an immediate denture was made. They took impressions 2 weeks prior to the removal and put it in immediately after the extractions. To be honest, I had less discomfort following the extractions on top, due to the denture being in place, than I did on the bottom (with nothing in place). The denture kept the swelling down on top, therfore reducing the amount of discomfort afterwards. I was also concerned about having increased pain from the immediate denture, but I can honestly say it was so much easier on me having the immediate denture placed after the extractions.

Hope this helps

Thx for the replies to my posting on how can they fit immediate dentures after extraction. I suppose it does make sense somehow. :grouphug:

Back