• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fillings between teeth

Devotchka Dolly

Devotchka Dolly

Hello, everyone!! This is my first time posting.

The last time I went to my dentist she noticed a small cavity forming between my upper molars on the right side. The tooth with the cavity already has a filling on the biting surface. I'm panicking because I have an appointment in three days and have no idea what to expect. Here are my questions:

1. How are fillings done between molars?
2. Is it more painful/uncomfortable than having a regular filling done?

Thank you for your time and consideration. :)

I wouldn't mind hearing some answers to this question myself, as some of the fillings I'm getting done on the 25th are between molars... I've never had ANY filling so I have no idea what to expect either.

Anyway-- I'm sending you a huge dose of moral support! At least you can know you're not the only one having this done soon.:XXLhug:

I have just had this done today!

I was soooooo nervous and i too wondered how but i neednt have feared because for the first time in years my teeth look great! And i am smilling from ear to ear!

My hole was massive and was in between my two front teeth. The hole was so big because it was from both teeth and the dentist took about an hour to do both teeth.

It was like having a normal filling done because she cleaned it all out etc and drilled etc... and then filled with white filling in both holes and i presume joined together because my teeth look like normal teeth... you wouldnt ever guess there was once a hole there! :)

My dentist gave me 4 injections and used numbing gel first so i didnt feel a thing.

You'll both be absolutly fine; i promise. :grouphug:

Awesome, thanks bear!!!

Let me know how yours goes, Devotchka-- I'll do the same!

For cavities between the molars, there's no easy way to get at them except to go through the marginal ridge and make an L shaped preparation where the small part of the L goes in between the molars into the contact area. Sometimes you can do a slot preparation through the side for small cavities in order to stay conservative and preserve the marginal ridge, but it can be technically difficult especially for posterior areas.

I have seen some modified preparations for composite resins that resemble a spoon type preparation that is localized to the marginal ridge area, but I really question how well decay can be visualized and removed with that limited amount of preparation unless the decay is quite minimal. Also, the retention and resistance form don't appear that great, but some dentists do like to do them that way.

In terms of pain and discomfort, they really don't differ too much from small fillings. They just take a bit longer and involve a matrix band/wedge to help form the filling.

Last edited:
Thank you charity, bear, and zzzdentist for your kind responses and words of moral support. I cannot express how much this forum has helped with my anxiety. It's nice knowing what to expect before the big day...maybe I'll even be able get some sleep the night before. :p

My initial check up is on Wednesday (I plan to schedule the filling then). I'll definitely keep you all posted on the results.

Update: Fillings between teeth

I just had my check up yesterday and the dentist decided that the cavity between my molars was still small and didn't need to be filled. She said that the tooth (#2, I believe) appears to be "holding" in there and that it could wait until my next check up in 6 months. I guess that'll teach me not to be so pessimistic before an appointment :redface:...I was sure that I would have to schedule a filling based on what my dentist said last time.

A part of me is relieved to be able to put it off longer; however, I can't understand why my dentist would wait until the cavity gets worse and decays further. Wouldn't she want to take care of it now while it's still small? In the past I had a "small" cavity that eventually got deeper because the dentist decided to wait. When she finally filled it she commented that she was surprised by the amount of decay.

Thanks for such a wonderful, supportive forum. I don't know how I managed before I found this place. :)

Maybe it's one of those that might never need to be filled at all if it remineralizes? I know that sometimes there are spots that are on the verge of going, but under the right circumstances and if it hasn't gone too far, some of the damage can be undone.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're doing so well! :thumbsup:

Yes, some small cavities an be "observed" as they may not progress over time. As long as the demineralization doesn't go right down to the dentinal layer, sometimes you can leave these and never see them get larger as long as homecare (brushing/flossing) is good.

It's like watching that small mole on your back. If it isn't getting larger or developing irregular borders or induration, some physicians might just keep them under watch.

im just wondering,if thats the case though, THEY HAVE TO TELL U THAT RIGHT? I mean..paranoia is setting in, lol

They usually will inform you and make a note in the chart.

hope so. My dentist hasnt told me of anything like that so far. But, idk why i just am distrusting of them. But im also distrusting of most people in general, so idk. Believe me, i i was more trusting of my dentist, i wouldent be pestering u guys with pages of questions over minor stuff

Hello all,

So how are your teeth doing where you had small cavities? I have a cavity between two of my back lower molars that we have been "watching" for the past 3 years- my dentist has been doing an annual expensive flouride brushed on gel, and I brush/floss/flourise rinse to try to protect, but I can see some darkness between the teeth now. Actually my dentist in the US wanted to fill it immediately 3 years ago, but my dentist here in Istanbul says we should wait as long as possible and try to use preventative measures to keep the cavity from growing since the tooth will be weaker after she cuts into it to fill it (I already have 7-8 fillings, I've always fought for my teeth). I am afraid of the cavity getting worse and losing the tooth. siigghhh it's so hard to know :(

Hi WELCOME to the forum :jump::jump::jump:

I would get a second opinion. If you could get a photo it sometimes helps the dentists on here to give you an answer although seeing a dentist that can have a proper look is better as it may be difficult to get a photo as it is inbetween your teeth.

I would prefer to get the fillings but I don't know dentistry, I am just a patient in the UK.

To put your mind at rest try seeing another dentist and see what they say. :butterfly:

Back