Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I change dentists and have my x-rays sent to the new dentist?

Question Can I change dentists and have my x-rays sent to the new dentist?

I just went to the dentist after 13 years. So, of course I need tons of work done. The thing is I didn't realize how little my insurance would cover! So, after the shock of the huge proposed bill I started looking into Aetna's Dental Access discount program. It looks to be the way to go since I can't afford all of this work. But, with my regular insurance I could go to anyone but with this plan I would need to go to a certain dentist. So, my question is when I went yesterday the only thing I had done was an exam and x-rays. My next appt is scheduled for a deep cleaning which I could have done there too. But can I have my x-rays sent to the new dentist so I can start treatment with him since my insurance plan will be exhausted relatively soon or would I have to start all over?? I pray that's not the case. Any help much appreciated!!!

Default Re: Can I change dentists and have my x-rays sent to the new dentist?

The laws are different in different countries and situations.
      i believe that in the States- your xrays are classified as your property- and you can request to have them if you want them.
      In the UK, if you are an NHS patient on the other hand- the xrays belong to the NHS.
      In either case- it is also possible to copy xrays- and although that can also cost a bit- at least you wouldn't be exposed to any more radiation than is neccessary.
      I think that they will be very understanding to your situation as I am sure it will have happend several times before- and that they will happily help you out.
      Regards
      Mike
      Dr Mike Gow BDS (Gla) MFDS RCPS (Gla) MSc Hyp (Lon) PGCert (Edin)
      The Berkeley Clinic, Glasgow
      www.WhatFear.Com

Quote Originally Posted by DrMike View Post
      i believe that in the States- your xrays are classified as your property- and you can request to have them if you want them.
      Not quite true - the situation in the US is that the dentist is legally obliged to keep the originals, but they are also obliged to provide you with a copy upon request. Some dentists may do this for free (esp. if the records are digital), but they are allowed to charge a reasonable fee for this service (from what I've read, 20 - 40 dollars seems common).

However, before you switch insurance plans, you should make absolutely sure that the dentist on the new plan is someone you actually would choose even if it weren't for the insurance. This would at least involve making an appointment for consultation, to see if you like and trust the dentist. You don't want to get stuck in a situation where you switch insurance only to find out that you don't really want to make use of the new insurance plan .
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices

It's a similar situation to the US one, you can ask for them to be copied and for copies to go to somewhere else, but the dentist will want to keep the originals. Again, a "reasonable" charge can be leveled for making the copies.

why would he want to keep a copy if u switch dentists?

Quote Originally Posted by saffy View Post
      why would he want to keep a copy if u switch dentists?
      In case you try to sue him at a later date I should think.
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

ahh i c

i always thought if u pay for them surely they're yours although i was just reading some where if u want anything to do with dental records or just medical records generally they can charge u £50..... maybe its the same?!?!

With models there's much more of a storage issue long-term, I would have thought. In the 1970s my orthodontist gave me my before and after cast models to keep when treatment was complete.
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

I'm always trying to give models away, but the blooming patients won't take them!