• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dry Socket?

T

TwilightVamp

Ok, I went in and got six teeth pulled friday, one of the bottom wisdom teeth was sideways, anyway, for the last couple days I've been doing fine, today... God my mouth just hurts, it's only the area where the sideways tooth was pulled and it's just painful!
I don't know if it's dry socket or not but OMG it's so painful! I have to wait for my mom to get home and wait for tomorrow for her to maybe call the dentist, is there anything I can do to stop the pain until I get in to see him?
This is one of the worst pains I've felt in my LIFE!!! ugh.

Twi:censored:

hi
yes it sounds like you have a dry socket (aka alveolar osteitis!)

you do need to see a dentist asap- so that they can clean the area and possibly dress it. they may prescribe some antibiotics as well.

if you can get to a drug store/chemist - buy a chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash. If you can't get this then just use luke warm water with a teaspoon of salt stirred in. Rather than rinsing- just hold the mouthwash over the area.

If you are a smoker- STOP SMOKING at least until the area is well healed. smoking is one of the biggest factors. avoid alcohol as well.

Take anti-inflammatory painkillers eg ibuprofen.

if there is any swelling- hold a cold pack against your jaw (or frozen peas etc).

Click on Healing after extractions -you may pick up some more info which will help

Dry socket is often worse than toothache- but it will get better.

Call the dentist today and make the appointment- the sooner you see the dentist the quicker things will get on the mend.

Last edited:
I have copied and pasted the following from my own website- again just to give you as much info as possible- hope it gets better soon:

Dry socket is an unpredictable complication in the healing of extraction wounds. It occurs after around 1-3% of extractions. It is more common following the extraction of a molar, particularly a lower molar and following difficult or surgical extractions. The highest incidence of dry socket follows the extraction of impacted lower wisdom teeth. It causes pain one day to one week after the extraction. Often there is a bad taste in the mouth and noticeable odour (halitosis) caused by trapped food debris. The extraction wound is extremely tender to touch and the pain is often described as being worse than toothache. DRY SOCKET can occur if the blood does not clot adequately in the extraction wound. This may occur if you have rinsed out too vigorously, drank a hot liquid or drank any alcohol soon after the extraction. Dry socket is much more common in smokers. Smoking also prolongs the time it takes for a dry socket to heal. DRY SOCKET may be treated by your dentist, who may rinse the debris out of the wound with a syringe and sometimes an artificial blood clot may be placed. Occasionally your dentist may have to re-clean the wound but it important to remember that often healing will take several days or even weeks. During this time you can aid healing by gently using a salty mouth rinse (a cup of luke warm water with a teaspoon of salt) or by using a chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash. DRY SOCKET is an unfortunate and painful complication, but will resolve with time and care.

Back