• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Corsodyl Mouth Wash

I

Issy

I have very inflamed Gums. So Mum bought me some Corsodyl Mouthwash from tesco.

I've been using it for 3 days,but it burns my Gums and Throat - so i've stoppped using it.
Is it normal to sting & burn my Gums ? :( :(

Isn't there a Corsodyl Toothpaste available to buy ? I think that would be better, coz it won't burn my Gums.

Has anyone had experience of Corsodyl and did you have problems with it ?

Hi Issy

I am not a dentist!! I am dental phobic.

Never had Corsodyl, but Listerene stings my gums and tongue for a few moments after I spit. I think it is fairly normal, they make a mild one (orange) which isn't so bad.

Plain salt water is a good option too, although it has no anti bacterial affect.

I'm using Listerine instead and that is fine. Doesn't sting or irritate my Gums at all.
But it isn't specially for inflamed Gums and need a Mouthwash for Gum Disease

Any ideas on Mouthwashes,(fairly mild in taste) that are for Gum Disease ?

A lot of people find that Corsodyl stings and burns (and most people don't care for the taste, either...). Found this on ciao.co.uk:

"In the information it tells you that: “You may notice a change of taste or a burning sensation on the tongue when you first use the mouthwash. These effects usually go away as you continue to use the product.” Well, having experienced the stinging sensation you get with Peroxyl, which does fade as you continue to use it, I did expect the a similar sort sensation with Corsodyl. Unfortunately I wasn’t quite prepared for how bad it would be. You are supposed to rinse your mouth with 10ml of Corsodyl for about a minute, twice daily. If you can keep it in your mouth for a minute you are either a stronger person than I or have a numb mouth! ‘Burning sensation’ is an accurate description! As for the taste, it stays in your mouth for hours after use and over rules the first tastes of any food or drink you have later. If you have ever had an extra strong mint and immediately followed it by a drink, then you will have a good idea of what this is like. As for the effects going away with continued use, well they didn’t for me. It continued to burn in the same way as the first time I used it."

So - you're not alone!

letsconnect said:
A lot of people find that Corsodyl stings and burns (and most people don't care for the taste, either...). Found this on ciao.co.uk:

"In the information it tells you that: “You may notice a change of taste or a burning sensation on the tongue when you first use the mouthwash. These effects usually go away as you continue to use the product.” Well, having experienced the stinging sensation you get with Peroxyl, which does fade as you continue to use it, I did expect the a similar sort sensation with Corsodyl. Unfortunately I wasn’t quite prepared for how bad it would be. You are supposed to rinse your mouth with 10ml of Corsodyl for about a minute, twice daily. If you can keep it in your mouth for a minute you are either a stronger person than I or have a numb mouth! ‘Burning sensation’ is an accurate description! As for the taste, it stays in your mouth for hours after use and over rules the first tastes of any food or drink you have later. If you have ever had an extra strong mint and immediately followed it by a drink, then you will have a good idea of what this is like. As for the effects going away with continued use, well they didn’t for me. It continued to burn in the same way as the first time I used it."

So - you're not alone!

Nice to know other people experience the same thing

What other type is there,that's for Gum Disease ?

Corsodyl (chlorhexidine gluconate) is the only one that works for gum disease, really... it also comes as a gel and as a spray. I don't know if either of them sting less or if they're as effective as the mouthwash (maybe someone else knows).

You could also try Oraldene, this is for gingevitis and gum disease, mouth ulcers etc.

You don't NEED mouthwash for most forms of gum disease. Chlorhexidine should NEVER be used daily unless it's been prescribed by a dentist and it's nuts that it's sold over the counter, in Tesco or anywhere else.

Corsodyl stings like Listerine because it's got alcohol in it as well btw, as has Oraldene.

WARNING, CURMUDGEON ALERT...

Careful cleaning with a decent electric toothbrush and any toothpaste along with daily flossing is all that's required to prevent gum disease and keep your mouth in good shape. Unfortunately that takes a bit of effort and too many of us are looking for some magic formula that will do the work for us.

Gordon said:
You don't NEED mouthwash for most forms of gum disease. Chlorhexidine should NEVER be used daily unless it's been prescribed by a dentist and it's nuts that it's sold over the counter, in Tesco or anywhere else.

Corsodyl stings like Listerine because it's got alcohol in it as well btw, as has Oraldene.

WARNING, CURMUDGEON ALERT...

Careful cleaning with a decent electric toothbrush and any toothpaste along with daily flossing is all that's required to prevent gum disease and keep your mouth in good shape. Unfortunately that takes a bit of effort and too many of us are looking for some magic formula that will do the work for us.

Ok. I thought some Mouthwash can cure or help Gum Disease.

What about the Corsodyl Toothpaste ? Is that better to use regulary ?

Hi
Have to agree with gordon on this one. cholrhexadine isn't the long term answer in fact NO mouthwash is. The bacteria in your mouth that causes the gum problems is microscopic and binds to the tooth surface the only way this can be removed is by mechanical action (toothbrushing to the rest of us!!) We can never remove all the bacteria in our mouths in fact we need it to be there to keep the mouth healthy. The bacteria in our mouth has to sit attached in one place for 21 days before it will cause bleeding just by breaking this attchment twice daily with brushing the gums can heal and the bleeding WILL stop. NO mouthwash can break this attchment all corsodyl does is stop the bacteria reproducing and therefore means we dont get any freah bacteria it doesn't actually get rid of the stuff thats already there.

I tend to treat corsodyl like an anti biotic i reconmend patients to use it twice a day for just one week this can reduce the bleeding and make brushing a bit easier.

I know when gums are inflammed the idea of brushing them can be awful and seeing all that blood is off putting put as long as its not painful you do need to keep going.

The way i explain gum infalmation to my patients is to think about having a splinter in your hand. If you leave the splinter in the hand will become inflammed and will probably bleed if you touch it. In order for your hand to heal you have to pull the splinter out. when you do this the hand will probably start to bleed more but its not bleeding because you pulled the splinter out its bleeding because it was there in the first place. This is the same with gum disease getting rid of the bacteria by brushing it away is going to make the gum bleed but its not because you are brushing its because the bacteria was there in the first place. Hope this makes a bit of sense.

I have to say i hate all these adverts for dental products that promise the world chemicals DONOT control plaque. toothpaste is only there to give you some fluoride and a fresh taste infact we dont even really need that (except it does make brushing nicer) you only ever really need one thing and thats a good small headed toothbrush and a good technique. Its like everything in life its not the equipment that counts its definatly the technique!!!!!

In fact the main purpose of toothpaste is to make things taste nice so that we'll use the toothbrush for long enough to have an effect. Try using a brush without paste, it's pretty yucky :o

I'd love to see the advertising authorities go after mouthwash makers, but sadly they never do :thumbsup:

Back