• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

4 Wisdom Teeth, 2 Impacted - Removal tomorrow

J

justincky

I have a big fear of needles and dental work. Luckily I haven't had to have any teeth pulled. I can tolerate cleanings but that's pretty much it. So finally I have put off my wisdom teeth until I can't anymore. One of them keeps getting my gum infected and constantly hurts. Now it's so bad I can't eat normally. Last week I had to go to the Surgeon to get antibiotics and schedule my dreaded appointment.

I found a really nice caring Surgeon that offers many types of sedation. He has recommended the following. Take .5mg (two pills) of Halcion 1 hour before I get to the office. Laughing gas once I get inside room before IV. Then lastly IV sedation during the procedure.

The top two are completely thru the gum. The bottom two are impacted sideways. One of the bottom has already poked thru and caused gum infections, the other one has not.

Has anyone had the combination the surgeon has prescribed? My biggest fear is the needles/IV. I understand he will poke my mouth with Novacaine to numb my teeth after the IV sedation has kicked in.

Any ideas or suggestions? Once the procedure is over and I am home any tips? I understand salt water is very helpful.

Thanks!

I'm sure you will be fine. The halcion should make you feel quite calm and relaxed and once you have the IV sedation you shouldn't feel any other injections. You may be aware of what is going on around you but just won't care and afterwards might not even remember anything. Wish you well tomorrow, will be thinking of you, sending positive vibes your way.

The dentists sedation plan sounds awsome:cheers: My dentist does it like that minus the oral sedation before the visit. When I had I/V sedation the needle that they put in the (elbow area/ or wrist) doesent hurt at all with nitrous its like being lightly poked with a toothpick;) Once the needles in your out for the count. I had a really good sedationist that I had the same effects as GA....had no clue what was going on, couldent see nor feel anything....was basically dead to the world.:cloud9: There is one thing cool about i/v sedation thats differant from GA is that you can still communicate with the dentist eventhough you are dead to the world:confused::cheers: and seemingly seconds later you 'wake up' with it all done!:jump:

Best thing to ever happen to dentistry besides local anesthetic and nitrous.;)

You can do it!

Thanks for the replies! Only 12 hours left then it will all be over. I can't wait to get it over with. I was hoping not to know they are putting the IV in. When I was 10 years old I was hospitalized with severe dehydration. They stuck me 9 times trying to start an IV. Ever since this I have had issues with needles.

The surgeon seems to be very nice and caring so hopefully this will help. Any tips on what to do to help calm myself down for the IV? Or do you think the Halcion and Laughing Gas will take care of it?

I had to have surgery last year and got an IV. They gave me Valium prior to and it did nothing. I was extremely tense and fought the nurse. Once I got the IV all was fine and I woke up like nothing had happened.

The Laughing gas should calm you enough if not more;). They can adjust the amount untill you get the desired effect so you shouldent care if they put the needle in.

The Laughing gas should calm you enough if not more;). They can adjust the amount untill you get the desired effect so you shouldent care if they put the needle in.

I have never had laughing gas, sounds pretty good thou if it can calm me that much. I just wish I could get over the fear of needles I have.

One other question, does anyone know if Halcion works better than Valium to calm one down? From what I have found Halcion is the recommended drug. He has prescribed me .5mg so it's a pretty large dose. I just worried because the Valium last year didn't help any.

Not sure about the Halcion question but just wanted to say that it sounds like you have a great pain relief system... wish I had your dentist!!!
Would love them dose me up to the eyeballs!

I have asked if there was any chance he could knock me unconcious with a blunt instrument before he started...ha ha!!

Good luck for the appointment... you'll have to let us know how it all goes... if you can remember any of it that is :ROFLMAO:

Sorry it took so long to get back. The surgery went great and now I am just recovering. The Halcion worked really well but wore off too soon. There was an emergency patient in front of me so my surgery was put off two hours. They gave me the option to take another Halcion and wait an hour but I was ready to just get it done.

The laughing gas was used right before they did the IV. It was a really neat feeling, like I really didn't care. They put the first IV in and it didn't take so they had to do another IV. Still I didn't care at all! It was soooo great.

The only part I can remember is the IVs and getting stuck twice in the gum. After this I was literally out of it thanks for the IV. Next thing I remember is waking up at home. My mouth was still very numb. The numbness wore off about 2 hours later. I had some pain and took a Perkoset. It worked quite well.

Today I have just some mild pain, but nothing too bad. My jaws are swollen but the ice pad is doing wonders on it. I have been taking Ibuprofen all day instead of the high powered pain meds. Overall I am very happy to have it over with.

Like everyone has said don't worry about it. It will be fine. Worrying is fear's best friend! Stay calm and get lots of sleep before surgery.

Thanks for everything!

Congratulations, bet you're feeling great now that it's over with. You did very well. Pity you felt any pain but that's to be expected I suppose and exactly what painkillers are for. For anybody else reading this and about to have extractions, I would suggest you take your painkillers along with you and take before the numbness wears off, that way you could avoid any pain. Anyway, well done to you, you deserve a big rest and of course an even bigger celebration.

Congratulations, bet you're feeling great now that it's over with. You did very well. Pity you felt any pain but that's to be expected I suppose and exactly what painkillers are for. For anybody else reading this and about to have extractions, I would suggest you take your painkillers along with you and take before the numbness wears off, that way you could avoid any pain. Anyway, well done to you, you deserve a big rest and of course an even bigger celebration.

Thanks! As far as the pain it really wasn't that bad. It's expected. That's a good idea to take them ahead of time, however I didn't have the prescription until after the surgery.

Glad to hear everything went well. I wish I had your dentist. Mine will not allow me to take any meds after midnight because they could mess with the drugs they give you for sedation. I could really use some to calm me down and I am still 24 hours away.

Back