• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Numbness after tooth extraction-how long?

iamthechicken

iamthechicken

Bottom of my mouth, third from the back. I'm starting to feel a little tingly and some discomfort, so I want to know when I will have the feeling back completely. It was carbocaine and they gave me about 4 shots!

About 30 mins after you start feeling the tingling.

It was about 30 minutes, but now it's been two hours. Sorry to sound pathetic here, I was just reading the other stories about people's numbness taking weeks to wear off and I'm freaking myself out here. :scared:

I guess its been about 3 hours now.
Relax!
It really varies from person to person and on how much/what type of local was given.
It may be that it takes another hour or two.
If you still have numbness tomorrow then contact the dentist.
I have had some patients who have told me that the numbness has taken several hours to wear off totally!
Mike

Thanks. I can sort of feel the extraction site, but my lip, tongue and chin are still pretty numb. I talked to the dentist and she wasn't concerned considering they have to give me pretty much anesthesia.

I agree. It's quite normal at this stage.
Relax and sleep on it! In fact it is likely if you forget about it and occupy yourself with something else (eg a film or book etc)- it will gradually wear off in the next hour or two without you even noticing.
Remember to take a painkiller before the numbness does wear off!

Ok, it's worn off now. Eeek!!!!!!

Back