• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Part 2

Yes dentures are a bit hard to get used to but for some of us we wait so long that there really arent any other options....and all-thought it has been a challenge ....I must say it has only taken about 2 months for everything to get straigned out and settled down and I do love my knew teeth...I never thought I would have a smile this nice ever......I went years in pain and afraid to talk or smile so a fiew months of dentures and getting them just right was and is so worth it.....:thumbsup:
So whoever reads this if you can save your natural teeth...please do its what you we're born with....but if dentures are the only option for you then don't be afraid or discouraged because I am the happiest that I have been in a long time....so if your dentists recommends dentures...yes it is an adjustment...but to be able to smile and have some self confidence out weighs all the minor problems that come with them....and alot of people don't even have any problems;).If it wasen't for this forum I probably never would have found the courage to get my dentures...and I don't consider them dentures....they are my teeth and now i totally forget that they are even there...they feel completly natural(espically since I was abe to eat corn:cloud9:
Again it is good to try and do what you can to save your natural teeth but don't feel bad or beat your self up if you find that you need dentures.I am so thank ful for my knew teeth, and me and my kids are happier because I am healthier and currently pain free:jump:

Last edited:
So I am totally eating more healthy now(since the dentures)I can eat watermelon....and I have had broccli twice(prorbably because I can't taste as much:ROFLMAO:)I was sitting around feeling grateful for my knew lease on life(thats what it feels like)and I wanted to post yet another thank you....espically the moderators(SS,Brit,takingflight.Letsconnect)(and adminastrtaors...can't spell:whistle:)and everyone else on this forum.You all helped me and encouraged me and supported me to make a positive change in my life...so thank you again... i hope you all know how special you are and how special this forum is.:respect::respect::respect::respect:

P.S
Deep cleaning in one week:o

P.S
Deep cleaning in one week:o

That's a breeze compared to what you've gone through already...remember you are in control...you can have anaesthesia if you want/need it.

Thanks Brit....I hope all my bottom teeth don't fall out.Its kinda like the saying"don't wash my car cause the dirt is holding it together"kinda feel that way about my bottom teeth:obut the top ones look so good I have to get cracking on the bottom ones.
I am happy cause i found a kitten yesterday and he is so cute and sweet I had to keep him.

I'm sure everything will go fine with the cleaning Mary and as for the joke about them falling out, of course that won't happen but, I would imagine as all the tartar is taken away you might initially feel that there are gaps between the teeth where the tartar once was and mistakingly think that is going to lead to tooth loss. Just concentrate on how your lower teeth are going to be a match for your beautiful uppers very soon, white and shiny and smooth to the touch. Give your new kitten a cuddle for me. I can never resist a bundle of fluff like that and even from a very young age all the strays, both dogs and cats seemed to find me and follow me home from school and the majority of my life has been taken up with rescuing and looking after all sorts of waifs and strays. Anyone who is kind to animals is allright in my book.

OK well........I chickened out and made my appointment for the deep clean even later....I know its nothing compared to what I have allready done,but I had lots of good reasons in my head why I shoulden't go this week...the good news is I made another one for later into the next week.
I just have alot of negegtive going on right now and need to focus on my kids and so fourth.
Just trying to keep track of all of it in my journal....I will go next week for sure:rolleyes:.

Oh SS.....@ days later I founf 3 more kittens which I think are the brothers and sister....so guess what?I now have a total of 4 kittens....I coulden't let them live on the street.

What a great thing you are doing, rescuing all those sweet kitties! I am a dog person myself, but my daughter has cats and we babysit sometimes when she and her husband are out of town.
Getting to the teeth issue, get the deep cleaning done; after your extractions and denture it will be a "no brainer".
Over the years with my periodontist, I had many deep cleanings and the discomfort is minimal.
Try everything to save your lower teeth, the lower denture will be much harder to adjust to than the upper.
We will be in your neck of the woods next March; have made reservations at Marriott Desert Villas for Mar.13th through the 20th. Will be going to the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, I am a huge tennis nut!

Haven't written in my journal for a bit so I thought it was about time:(.
Tomorrow morning I go in for my deep clean of my bottom teeth and I know I have done so much allready and that this should be super easy....but it isen't and every single part of me wants to cancel....but I scheduled for a saturday so I woulden't cancel because then I would feel guilty for ruining his saturday;).

My top permanat denture is Fantastic....I had so many problems with the first one but since I have gotton the knew one...I haven't been back to have it adjusted or anything.
I am eating all kinds of food that I haven't eaten in years:cloud9:....but I am freaking out just a little bit about tomorrow..My daughter is getting her casts off this next week because the doctor says she is healing really good and fast and then she starts her theapy...she is excited to see her legs again and with school starting and all its a good thing.

Hi Brit....how are you?
Ok I am done and if you have found this forum congradulations....there is so much courage and support here it's amazing:jump:

Ok well,....I went.
I did so good with my extractions....but I sat down and had a major panic attack.
I tried for a good hour but I was shaking and light headed so he coulden't do it.
He gave me a prescription for something to take before my next appointment(can't pronounce it)I have never had to do this before.
I have no clue why I got so freaked out.
Anyway really hating myself today so I think I will go hide under the covers for a bit(kids are gone for the weekend:cry:)

Ok well,....I went.
I did so good with my extractions....but I sat down and had a major panic attack.
I tried for a good hour but I was shaking and light headed so he coulden't do it.
He gave me a prescription for something to take before my next appointment(can't pronounce it)I have never had to do this before.
I have no clue why I got so freaked out.
Anyway really hating myself today so I think I will go hide under the covers for a bit(kids are gone for the weekend:cry:)

Hi Mary
Sorry to hear it didn't quite work out as you had hoped. When you say you tried for an hour what do you mean exactly? He must have got something done? Many people if they are having true deep cleanings...have LA and have 4 visits one for each quadrant so maybe trying to do it all in one go..even if it is 2 quadrants was a bit ambitious.

The thing is rather than reignite the phobia, it is best to have LA for a cleaning or use nitrous if it can't be done comfortably. Sounds like the top denture is working out really well though so that's great. How did you feel about the actual dentist's approach, patience level etc etc ? I'm sure with the script for next time it will be much easier for you.
Hope you're feeling more positive again soon - remember it's a huge achievement :grouphug:.

Sorry to see you had a bit of a setback with your appointment Mary. I can imagine how you were feeling because I myself found it easier to have extractions than anything else but... you've done so well up to now, come so far. As Brit has asked, did the dentist manage to do anything within the time? Anyhow, I'm sure that with whatever they have given you, probably some form of valium, it will lessen the anxiety and get you through it. Glad to see the top denture is still comfortable.

Thanks SS and Brit.
Good to hear from you again SS,when your not here your missed:XXLhug:.
Anyway his plan was to do all the bottom in one go,but he wasen't able to do much because of this out of the blue panic attack I had.
It was a knew dentist who was really sweet and understanding...about 20 minutes in he let me go outside to have a smoke.(having trouble quitting)
So I will try again and hopefully this valume(can't spell)will help.
Thanks for the support.:XXLhug:

The valium will definitely help you Mary, I couldn't have got through what I had to without it. Yes, its good to be back though I'll be off on another few days break next week and then yet another break a few days later so will probably only be back to normal mid September.

Thought I should update my journal.I have been gone for quite some time.I got really sick(ill save the details)and have been basically living in a hospital ....but I m home now ...there isen't much the hospital can do at this point.
I felt so bad I coulden't log on because I loev this forum and wanted to keep helping people like all of you helped me!
So know that u were in my thoughts and I missed you!
I went to teh dentist today for a deep clean...and they want to pull 3 more bottom teeth and I guess I have 2 wisdom teeth on their sides(figures...LOL)that they want an oral surgen to remove.Now considering what I have allready done you'd think I would be ok with this...but I am so not.Im all shaky and put the referl for the oral surgon in a part of my wallet that I never look:rolleyes:
My bottom teeth all have this fish hook thing going on at the bottom of the root and i am so afraid to have more teeth pulled!
But thats not why I am back I am here because I love this site and I want to be here for other people!
I really am so glad that I am back....and hope I can continue posting here.*crooses fingers:thumbsup:

Hi Mary, great to see you back :yay:!!

I'd been wondering what happened to you and I'm so sorry to hear that you were sick in hospital :(. I hope you are much better now :XXLhug:.
Great to hear that you managed to have the deep clean :cheers:!!

Hi Letsconnect....Thank you and I am so happy to be back!
I missed this forum....ya i did the deep clean but my gums all are all red and sore now so I sure hope this is normal!:(

It was nice to wake up this morning and actually see some what white bottom teeth.They are a bit sore after the cleaning but I am hoping this is normal...but its nothing 2 advil can't fix.
Thanks again for the welcome back letsconnect....I was in the hospital because of an illness they discovered I have during a routine doctor check up!I am better now....but its a never ending battle...then again what isn't...LOL
The time I was in the hospital only half the time they would let me wear my teeth so it was hard having nurses and doctors see me toothless(not something I think I will ever be ok with...LOL):o

Sorry to hear you've been in the hospital! I'm not too fond of those kind of places, so glad you're out and feeling better.

I didn't have a deep cleaning but did have a large build up of tartar (now I brush my teeth religiously...it's actually a habit now and not a hassle) but my gums were super sore and a bit red after. Just swish around with some salt water and gently brush around the gums to help firm them up. Advil will definitely help with the swelling as well!

Back