• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long to eat mush after tooth extraction?

K

Kajikit

I had a wisdom tooth and two molars removed on thursday morning... all seems to be going well, but I'm wondering how long I'm supposed to eat soup/smoothies? DH thinks I should be okay with soft food now but I'm worried about it getting stuck in the holes and causing an infection... I'm getting sick of pureed vegetable soup and cottage cheese but if that's what I have to have to be safe, then that's what I'll eat! What's the normal progression for fairly average uncomplicated extractions?

Well it's been about 2.5 days so as long as you are comfortable eating more solid food items, it shoooould be okay I think. Just try your best to avoid getting food jammed into the socket areas if at all possible. If the 3 extractions are in all different corners of your mouth, it might be more difficult so you could stick with softer, easier to chew pieces.

Last edited:
I had mashed potatoes and gravy from a fast food place for lunch... Not something I'd usually touch with a barge pole, but mmmmmmmmm it was good!

MmmmmMMMm you know what's good? Chicken Bowls from KFC! Yum! :cloud9: Sure they will likely clog your arteries and kill ya, but hey at least I'll die happy with some comfort food in my belly.

Actually they look pretty gross, but they taste pretty darn good. For those uninitiated in the finer KFC haute cuisine, Chicken Bowls kind of look like this:

images-2.jpeg

It's a cholesterol packed helping of chicken nuggets, mozarella, and gravy all on a bed of mashed potatoes! Yeah, the eyes may say "I'm gonna puke" but the tummy says "Yum, toss it on down here!" If ya gotta go, ya may as well go with a smile and some gravy dribbling down the corner of your mouth I always say!

This KFC short online commercial is sponsored by "The Colonel" and helps subsidize The Zzzdentist's apparently free services here on DFC. In no means does DFC condone artery clogging dishes and should not be mistakenly affiliated with KFC even though DFC sounds really close to KFC.

Last edited:
mmmm... pukealicious :p

To get back to topic, how long will it probably take my holes to heal up? How long do I actually have to worry about things like rice and sesame seeds getting stuck in them? I didn't have to puree my breakfast today (glory hallellujah!) but I had weetabix mush so it was like porridge anyway... I'm looking forward to scrambled eggs for lunch - I can eat with a spoon instead of having to drink everything!

Well it's going to take a while anywhere from 2-4 weeks for the sockets to close up a bit so you might still find bits and pieces getting into them. If it's bothersome, the dentist can give you a Monoject curved tip plastic syringe to irrigate the debris out. Most people seem to do okay with just rinsing so you might be fine with that.

Back