• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So much pain!!!

A

angela33

Please Help Me!!!

Hello,

I do not mean to sound so desperate but I am in so much pain it is unreal! See four days ago on Thursday I got 5 extractions and immediate partials.I finally took them out this morning because my dentist said to keep them in until after saturday which was yesterday.Anyways I just took them out for the second time today to clean them,problem is the sore spots I have are so bad they are bleeding everytime I take them out.The bottom sore spots are worse than the top ones,and my gum at the top on the right looks like it has a big ulcer on it where the edge of my partial sits.Is it o.k. to leave my bottom partials in for a bit without taking them out to clean them? I know that sounds awful but these sore spots are so painful I am in tears everytime I take them out.What can I do about these? I have been rinsing with salt water atleast 5 to 6 times a day.Is there anything else I can do?I am sorry to sound so whiney but I cannot remember ever being in this much pain in my entire life!I just wish this was all over with.Oh by the way my partials are valplast,the nurse told me that they can be shaped somehow to help sore spots,she said I can do this myself.Is this true? Or do I need to go to my dentist for him to fix them?Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

Hey group,

Well I finally got a whole set of teeth last week,problem is the sore spots I got from these partials are so painful I can't even put it into words :( Has anyone else out there ever been through this kind of pain,situation? I am just so down from all of this.Plus I clean for a living and I just don't know how I am going to make it through the week with all this pain and misery.I just wish all this was over with!

Re: Please Help Me!!!

Ouch, that does not sound like you're having a fun time. I would probably lean towards taking them out to allow the tissues to heal a bit more. Usually sore spots are due to the partial being too thick and impinging on the gums. They end up as those sore ulceration spots that you are seeing. It's best to have the partial adjusted to give the area more clearance.

Painkillers might help take the edge off if you aren't taking them already. Maybe go for a day or so without them in and see how things are. Usually when sore spots are present, the area gets a bit swollen too so it just makes the situation worse. If you can give the tissues a break, hopefully you can try again later or try them after they have been adjusted. It's like getting a new custom made pair of shoes that are just a little too tight. Take them off and give the poor feet a rest before trying them again.

I'm not all that familiar with Valplast partials, but I thought they were the flexible resin type which were difficult to adjust. Maybe removing thick spots isn't a problem if the nurse feels confident that she can handle the task.

Re: Please Help Me!!!

You had immediate dentures made in Valplast? That's a first for me.

Anyway, one of the nice things about Valplast is that you can sort of mould it yourself, if you soak the denture in some nice hot water for a bit, it does tend to soften and then when you put it back in your mouth it will sort of reform around the teeth a bit.

So sorry to read about your discomfort with the partials. I myself don't have partials, just full dentures, and have been very lucky with their fit. But I am sure there are loads of people on this site who have had partials and will reply to you. I know though we are all different and have different results to the same things. There's no need though to put up with sore spots, have you not been in touch with the dentist to get the partials adjusted as that might be just what is needed. A simple adjustment. I know life can be miserable when you have a sore mouth because we just don't realise till we have something wrong with our teeth, or with dentures or partials just how much we take things for granted. I do hope you get it sorted out pronto. Do keep us posted, but my advice if you haven't done so already, immediate call to the dentist and straight in for adjustments.:grouphug:

Hey all,

well I got into the dentist today and he grinded my valplast down just a little bit enough to help relieve some of my sore spots.He said I can leave them out to help the tissue heal,I got my bottom ones out around the house which only shows one missing tooth but the top one well it is just too horrifying for me to let my b/f see me with all four of my front teeth gone,it is still hard for me to get used to looking in the mirror at myself,my partials are really nice looking,just can't wait till everything gets back to normal,I have been using the salt water like crazy trying to get these sore spots better faster.Wish me luck and thanks for all of your help and support,it means so much!

Back