• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ahhh, root canal!

K

Kayte

Agh.

My root canal is scheduled for Wednesday morning. That sure came up quick on me!

I'm trying to be calm about the whole thing. Just go about my daily routine. You know, painting the kitchen, tiling the floor, building a skyscraper or two :)

All jokes aside, I'm starting to freak.
I did pretty well with my cleaning but it's not like that involved needles or two hours of someone drilling into the core of my tooth. I guess I'm not so much worried about the pain as I am worried that the tooth might just fall apart or that when I do get the temporary filling in, that it will just fall out the next day or so.

I'm also slightly afraid I'll have some deathly reaction to the lidocaine (I was informed that dentists rarely use novcaine anymore). I thought that I had novacaine before with my other filling years ago but I guess it could have been lidocaine.

Anyway, I'm hoping the only pain I'll feel is when I have to pay for the root canal. I'm scheduled for a two hour appointment but that includes three additional fillings on top of my root canal.

So anyone been through a root canal lately?
Any advice? Will I survive? Anyone dealt with a temporary filling?
I won't likely be able to acquire the funds for a crown until the fall.

My Dad said that his root canals were just like getting a regular filling only longer. Problem with his story is that one of those times, he had one without any numbing agent because his tooth was dead so there was no risk he would feel anything anyway. He also walked around with a temporary filling in his mouth for six months because he claimed he could never find the time to go back and get the crown fitted. Sureeee Daddio :)

I don't believe my tooth is dead as it occasionally shocks the living crap out of me (although it hasn't done it quite recently).

Thank you for any words of comfort or experiences any of you will be able to share with me. As always, it is greatly appreciated (and I'm sorry to babble, it's the paint fumes, I swear!)

Agh.
I'm also slightly afraid I'll have some deathly reaction to the lidocaine (I was informed that dentists rarely use novcaine anymore). I thought that I had novacaine before with my other filling years ago but I guess it could have been lidocaine.

I can at least clear this one up for you...US dentists seem to refer to local anaesthetic as novocaine even though novocaine (a trade name) has not been manufactured for many years..it was an early local anaesthetic...it's a bit like the use of 'hoover' for vacuum cleaner...so you need not worry about any strange reactions. You will have had much the same LA last time as well.

Anyway, I'm hoping the only pain I'll feel is when I have to pay for the root canal. I'm scheduled for a two hour appointment but that includes three additional fillings on top of my root canal.

If you think is too much for you why not rearrange and just do the root canal...2 hours is a long time even for someone who really enjoys going to the dentist :ROFLMAO: and when you are new to this stuff it's usually good to build up your confidence gradually. The exception to this would be if you were having sedation dentistry whereby lots can be done in one appt. I'm sure the only pain will indeed be in your pocket which is the only place it should be in this day and age...rct techniques have greatly improved in recent years and the horror stories around root canals relate to problems getting sufficiently numb should infection be present...it still doesn't mean you can't be got numb..but it may need extra anaesthetic...so if they can't get you numb enough....abort and rethink...antibiotics first maybe or sedation of some kind. You don't have to let them proceed if you are not comfortable it is your tooth...chances are it will be a comfortable experience.....

My Dad said that his root canals were just like getting a regular filling only longer. Sureeee Daddio :)
....because your Dad is right...we often describe rcts on here as like a normal filling but taking longer....the only one I have ever had was painfree.

I don't believe my tooth is dead as it occasionally shocks the living crap out of me (although it hasn't done it quite recently).
I'm sure it will be fine - remember it is not supposed to hurt so give a stop signal at the first sign of trouble and get some more LA.

Best wishes :grouphug:

Last edited:
I've had many (over 10) root canals. For some reason, root canals have gotten a bad rap, but they really aren't that bad. If you are envisioning drilling for 2 hours, then yes, I suppose it would be nerve racking! lol

A root canal procedure involves very little drilling. They drill for a short time to open up the root of the tooth. The rest of the time is spent cleaning out the root which involves very very tiny files or wires with small ridges to clean out the canal. They do the cleaning by hand, and like brit said, if you are numb (I have never not been numb), there is no pain.

I've had just about every procedure under the sun performed on my teeth, and a root canal would rank towards the bottom for nastiness. I would say removing a 3 tooth permanent bridge and prepping for a new 4 tooth one was one of the most involved things I've been through in one sitting (around 3 hours). Root canals? Piece of cake...assuming you don't have an absess to go with it.. which of course is painful in itself.

Good luck. You can do this!!

I personally have not had experience of root canal work and am pretty likely never to have to, for obvious reasons those of you who know my story! Anyhow I can confidently predict that you will be absolutely fine. How can I be so confident? Simple. You have a sense of humour and that carries you through absolutely any and everything!

So, while you're sitting there, relaxing in the chair with nothing to do, I'm not asking the earth of you, well not quite, but if you're able to build skyscrapers, tile a floor and paint a kitchen, then just imagine a blank canvas of just 30ft square and design me a lovely colourful garden that will look lovely all year round, attract the birds and bees and give me lots of pleasure with no work.
Seriously, I'm sure all will go well and look forward to hearing your update after the appointment.:grouphug:

Thank you all so much for your encouraging replies!
(and clearing up the novacaine myth, "kleenex" anyone?):)

I'm definitely breathing much easier at the moment, even with a laptop and 14 pound cat wedged on my chest.

Scared, I'll get to work on your garden the minute I'm plopped into the chair although I can't promise fantastic results. Everything I have ever attempted to grow has suffered a miserable death. I have a whole planter of nearly deceased plants on my balcony at this very moment shouting "Water, we like water you idiot!"

By some miracle however, my cat is alive and thriving (if um not a bit overweight haha).

Thanks again soo much and I'll be sure to update you once I'm all done!

Back