• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Food stuck in extraction site

S

scared2bthere

Akkkk, It is day 5 post surgical extraction. Baked potato and brocolli seem to be quite stuck in my healing extraction site. I'm trying to keep rinsing with salt water but it's not budging. I don't know how hard I can rinse so I don't upset the healing so I am trying to be gentle. This is driving me nuts though I want it out. I've read that some use a syringe but I don't have one and wouldn't know if it was too early or how much pressure to use if I did. The site feels sore now and it was feeling fine before. I'm off to try more rinse but if anyone can give me suggestions I am opem.

I am no dentist but try not to worry.when I had the first 8 pulled i to got food stuck in the sockets.
Just keep rinsing gently....it will work its way out or disolve.
Try not to think about it eoither( i know that allmost impossiable)
But it shoulden't hurt anything.
Do u have a soft tooth brush that you could brush the surface gently.that worked for me too.
Good luck and try not to worry:XXLhug:

Food getting stuck can make things a bit sore and irritated. Maybe try calling up your dentist's office to see whether they might be able to give you one of those curved tip Monoject syringes.

You should be okay to use some warm water in one and gently rinse any debris out. Just use enough pressure to dislodge any particles and that is comfortable for you. I'm not sure if you can get these at the pharmacies or whether you can find something similar to use.

If you want to try something "MacGyver" style you could try bending a paperclip into a little instrument with a small hook to try to fish the food out. If you're not that dextrous or adventurous or haven't watched a lot of 80's television shows, maybe skip that idea. :(

Man I used to love that show.
I thought i was the only one who watched it.

what about trying a toothpick?

Ooh no, you could do a bit of damage, the granulation tissue that forms after extractions is pretty delicate stuff. You'd probably be better leaving the food there!

It's still same condition this morning. I was hoping it would have started to break down from the saliva some by this morning. It's sore. I have to see my dentist tomorrow so I guess it can wait till then but I hope it doesn't get any more irritated.

what about gargling with actimel - full of friendly and hungry bacteria....

I've never heard of actimel. What is it?

It's a small yoghurty drink (probiotic) that is supposed to help your digestion and make you full of beans or your money back. There are similar ones like yakult etc. It has zillions of "friendly" bacteria that might start the digestive process in your mouth. Bit of a wacky approach but who knows it might work.

After I had an upper molar and premolar extracted, I was told to use a special surgical toothbrush "Inava 7/100 post surgical", purchased at the pharmacy, 48 hrs after the extraction, dipped in Corsodyl and gently go over the surgical site. At first only the thought of touching the area made me feeling sick to my stomach, but I gave it a try and went very slow, and I almost didn't feel a thing because the brush has extremely soft bristles.

It came in very handy when I got some food stuck in the socket which didn't go away just by rinsing and it was not at all rough on the surgical site.

OMG it's OUT :party::jump::sleepyjuice:

Much salt water and gently brushing and then a small procedure with tweezers and a flashlight.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. That feels so much better.

That's great news :)

.....::reluctantly shelves idea of attaching funnel to hoover...::

Back