• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm back.....

G

G

Hi All

I was on this forum last year and from a review here I went to see a Dr.Sean Murray, he was really good and I got two fillings done with him although I was terrified! However he told me I'll need to get crowns over my two front teeth as I got root canal on them 7 years ago. He said I had gum disease too and it would have to be treated before getting the crowns. The idea of him filing down my teeth terrifies me though, I know I'll need it done but I'm so scared. He doesn't seem to realise how scared I am either to be honest, maybe its because I relaxed a bit on the second visit.

The other thing is I also needed a few more fillings which I just couldn't afford to get done at the time so I didn't go back...
And now I'm nervous as hell all over again :( If I go back he'll be asking why I didn't make my last apt...

I have to go though because I went on a date with a french guy and he basically told me he liked everything about me except for my teeth! Maybe its a culture clash but he didn't see the problem in telling me! Totally destroyed my confidence. My friends have said its really not that bad, but I'm really really insecure about smiling now :( I can even notice it in some of my photos. My two front teeth are basically a filling and are quite dark compared to anyone elses. They are definitly not white.

I'd love to get them whitened but I don't think I can with the fillings I have in my front teeth can I? I'm also worried that the crowns will look really fake and not match my other teeth as they aren't very white, more like yellowy :(

Its just on my mind all the time and I don't know what to do :(

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're having a tough time :(

I'm due for a root canal in about three hours this morning, so I can kind of help you with the crowns concern.

I won't be having the crown fitted today but the dentist assured me that when they fit the permanent crown, they try to match it in terms of shape and color to the rest of your teeth.

Also, I've been told that before the crown is cemented in place, they'll show me what it looks like inside my mouth so I can make sure all is good and give them the go ahead.

As for whitening in teeth with fillings, it won't work on the actual fillings themselves (but it shouldn't have any adverse effects on them either, according to my dentist). So you could still whiten your teeth if you wanted to and your dentist could match your crowns to the new shade of your teeth.

As for the rest, please know that you're not alone. I'm maxing out my insurance with today's treatment alone. I won't be able to have anything else done until the new year and I have four really bad wisdom teeth that desperately need to go.

Your dentist should be understanding of your situation and be willing to work with you at your pace.

I hope everything works out alright for you!

Last edited:
Hi G,

Great job on getting that other work done already. It's great that you've found a dentist you like and trust.

I had a crown placed in October and there really wasn't that much too it. It didn't hurt at all. All I felt was a little bit of pushing on my gums. After the procedure was over for the temporary crown, my gums were a little sore for a day or so (not painful at all, just a bit sensitive). When the permanent crown was fitted, I didn't really feel a thing.

Kayte is right, they do have a variety of shades to choose from when making the permanent crown and they match the shade to your other teeth. They also clear it with you to make sure you're happy with the result.

I know that it's difficult to believe people when they say, "It's nothing to worry about." But, really, it isn't bad. You deserve to be able to smile without feeling self-conscious about it all the time. :grouphug:

Back