• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

M

M1chelle

Hi

I have been lurking the boards for a while now and have been very inspired by all the sucess stories and its nice to know that im not alone!

I havn't been to the dentist for about 8 years and have been trying to pluck up the courage for the past year to make an appointment as I have had a tooth playing up every now and again. I finally managed to pick up the phone and make the appointment and went along to the first one. I was terrified but it was fine, i just had x rays taken and was told I needed 2 appointments with the hygenist, 4 fillings, 1 tiny filling and an extraction. I went to my 2nd appointment yesterday and was so scared, I logged on here and read thru some of the post but as the time neared I got really tearful. I even thought about cancelling as the tooth hasnt ached for a few weeks!! however, I know that the toothache will come back and I have to fight this phobia. My main concern is that I have a jaw problem, each morning I have to click the left hand side of my jaw into place and I think thats what I am scared of. I told the dentist so she was aware of this. On this appointment I had a half hour appointment with the hygenist, she cleaned my teeth up lovely and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, after that I had to have the small filling. The filling was absolutely fine as well, I was well numb and didnt feel a thing. I have booked in the rest of my appointments as I want to strike whilst the iron is hot and by this time next month it will all be over (need to take out a small mortgage!!!!!!!) and then I am going to make sure I attend the dentist every six months.

This forum has really helped me which is why I felt I should join up and give my support to others. I already feel im conquering my fear and although I will be nervous on my appointments, I now know that its not going to be as bad as I had it in my mind. Im not looking forward to the extraction tho, will deal with that nearer the time.

Thanks for listening and sorry for rambling!

Michelle;D

Oh so nice to hear things went so well for you! That's how they all should. Glad to hear it's getting easier for you. :jump:

So pleased to read that it's turned out so well for you Michelle. It's often the way. We stay away for however many years through our fear and then when we finally go imagine that the worst is going to happen, like having to have all teeth removed, or about a hundred fillings (well, that is exaggerating a bit) root canals or terrible things done and it turns out to be so very much less and none of the embarrassment or fear or even expense that we had been thinking. But even though dental work is expensive, when you divide the price by the total number of years or months that you haven't been, then it works out so much less. That's what i've done with the thousands of pounds I've had to spend, but even if I didn't its been worth every penny to get my life back on track. It's really amazing how our fear of dentists affects our everyday life so much. So good on you for getting things sorted after just 8 years, a long time to you but to some others of us who have waited twice, three times, or or even longer than that, we are so happy that you were brave enough to go now.:grouphug:

Well done! :jump:

Letsconnect or some other adminstrator, should this be moved to Success stories? This really is one!