• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

6 days after extraction - still in pain

• Thread starter Frustrated and Scared
  • Start date
F

Frustrated and Scared

Hi Everyone and thank you for this site!

Here is my question/problem - On Friday, May 23rd I had a lower left bicuspid pulled with an immediate denture placed. The tooth that was extracted was sheared almost to the gum line and had pins and such poking out (long story) and was causing gum discomfort. The extraction seemed successful, although the dentist was skeptical at first due to the fact that it had been through two root canals and so on. So...Friday night into Saturday proved to be uneventful as far as pain and swelling. Saturday I removed the dentures for two hours as instructed then replaced them until Sunday at the same time. Saturday night I began to fill discomfort and a little bit of throbbing, (I had a couple drinks with my children believing that since 24 hours had passed that it would be safe) and could really feel pressure by the time the dentures came out on Sunday. I have not put the dentures in since then. I have minor swelling in the jowl area and my cheek is slightly puffy. I have a dull ache when I open speak or move my mouth a certain way and there is a little redness inside my mouth at the extraction between my gum and cheek. The dentist that extracted my tooth only specializes in the extraction itself and the placement of dentures...for all other purposed I am to see a regular dentist, which would be fine but my dentist is no longer practicing. So...to make a long story short and to get to the root of my problem (pun intended!), I cannot take an antibiotic even if there is a small infection. I ended up in the hospital for several days in October with Clostridium Difficile due to antibiotic use (clindamyacin) for another extraction/root canal and bridge placement. I contacted my physician, he told me to use Listerine several times a day. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can see that I don't have a dry socket, and I understand that the pain is excruciating and I'm uncomfortable but not screaming! I've been using tea bags at bed time, salt water, warm rags, ice bags, and so on. I really don't know what other direction to turn. I know that everyone's first response is antibiotic but that is not an option for me. Please advise!!

Thank you very much!!

i would get it checked out to be honest- i think that it sounds like a 'dry socket' is a possibility from your description. sometimes the socket looks like it is healing but actually it isn't.
the dentist who took the tooth out should agree to see you with any complications resulting from his/her treatment.
it may be that they can irrigate the socket and perhaps dress it to help the healing process. in the meantime a chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash may help.
if everything that can be done, has been done but you are still experiencing pain- find out if here are any dental homeopaths in your area- they may have some alternatives to antibiotics which could help.
hope you get this sorted out soon
regards
mike

Thank you so much for your reply! I will try the dentist that I went to. It's a first come first serve type of office, so...wish me luck! Also, I never thought of a homeopathic dentist and will definitely check to see if there are any in my area. I really did dismiss dry socket as the extraction site looks small and almost closed up. There is pain slightly right of the root hole, closest to the next tooth, I can't push down on it, but I can put pressure directly over the hole. I have had 15 extractions to date and have never come across this...(with the exception of the last very, very painful extraction for which I took the antibiotic).

Again...with my experience it is getting increasingly difficult for me to go to the dentist and I still have most of my upper teeth. I'm scared to death of infection. I so appreciate your site...it is very comforting to read others concerns and triumphs.

Sincerely,
Frustrated

There can be a problem (or at least I would regard it as a problem) with homeopathic dentists in that some (by no means all!) of them are also into weirder stuff, such as measuring "galvanic potentials", unnecessarily removing amalgam fillings, or removing teeth which could be saved with root treatment. Be sure to check out first where a particular dentist is coming from in terms of their ideological orientation :).

that's certainly a fair point- there are some 'alternative' practitioners who can be a bit extreme in their views. Ideally what you are probably looking for is a general dentist who has mainly traditional views, but who happens to have some training in homeopathy.

Back