• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

what will happen???

K

kayleighbarker20

I am 19 years old and had a very bad experience with a dentist with i was about 5, this fear has stuck with me and whilst i still went for routine checks and 2 fillings my fear got worse when my dentist yanked a tooth out without numbing me properly. I have now got 3 molars which are very badly decayed (down to the root in fact) they dont hurt now but have caused me much pain in the past. One of my front teeth is now decaying and really knocks my confidence, i cant smile or talk to people even those I know, I would love to go to the dentist to get this fixed but i dont know what they would do and this makes my fear worse also i am so embarrassed, also there is no possible way they are going to be able to treat me while i am awake, i am far too afraid! Please help me somebody I get married in 3 months and dont want to look a mess in my photos

Hello and a very big and warm:welcome:to this site. You've made a tremendous first step to dental health in finding us here because we fully understand how you are feeling. We are all phobics, dead scared, some of us just starting out on our dental journeys, some having been able to make that first appointment and be in the middle of treatment while others fortunate enough to have got through whatever they had to face, and now only have routine 6 monthly check ups to contend with.
So, unlike perhaps family and friends in whom you may not be able to confide, we understand completely and we will do our best to help support you in any way we can.
You have a wonderful motivation for getting your teeth fixed, to be looking absolutely beautiful for the best day of your life, your forthcoming wedding. Thankfully, as you are only 19 I am sure there is not so much wrong with your teeth as you fear, and they can probably be fixed without too much problem or too much expense.
Unfortunately, as with a lot of us here, past bad experiences have created or helped to perpetuate the phobia. Although dentistry is never going to be one of those things that we might enjoy having done to us, with the right dentist its amazing how painless things can be and, in common with me, you say you can't be awake for things to be done. I felt like that so went for IV sedation.
You don't say whether you have found yourself a dentist or not, and I am assuming you would not go back to any where you have had bad experiences so...the first thing is to find a compassionate, caring dentist who is good at his craft and will not be 'yanking things out willynilly'. I would suggest you look at the dentist finder link at the top of this page and see if there are any recommendations in your area. The first step really is to find a dentist that is right for you and, believe me, just as you have found Mr Right to share your life with, there will be a Mr (or Mrs) Right Dentist for you. whatever you need doing, it can be done painlessly, its all in the method the dentist adopts, i.e. injecting slowly for painless numbing injections, and numbing gel, and there are all sorts of different sedation methods to help you through any treatment.
So, once again, a big welcome to this site, reading some of the many success stories, journals, support section and posting your own thoughts and questions will really help.
The thing is to get started today - not to put it off any longer because in 3 months you want to be gliding down that aisle with a beaming, beautiful smile as you deserve.:grouphug:

Hi Kayleigh,

You have the best reason in the world to do this now - glad you came here and found us.:) Maybe you can figure out what it is bothers you the most, and check out the info in Common Fears, and see if you can narrow it down what is stopping you getting there, then once you have figured it out, you're half way there to dealing with it! What do you think you need to hear from a dentist to make you feel safe enough to get in that chair for the first appointment? If you can figure that, you'll be sorted in no time.

And :welcome:

Hi Kayleigh
Having a tooth pulled when you aren't properly numb is not going to make anyone want to go back to the dentist is it? This would be 'dentist incompetence'.
The thing is as an adult, you are in control, you choose your dentist. Most caring dentists check you are properly numb before getting too far in a procedure and tell you to raise your hand if anything feels strange or if you want a break.

Finding a dentist you would like to go to, is the first step..then just meeting them for a chat (which you pay for) and a quick look if you are up to it (not compulsory). Treatment can then be with lots of TLC and local anaesthetic or by use of other heavy-duty sedation methods.
All dentists are not :devilish: - honestly.
:grouphug:

Can you start looking around for a kind Dentist? I am afraid of the Dentist too so I totally understand. I found a kind and patient Dentist now who is helping me to get the treatment I need done.

The last Dentist I saw was at a county Dental clinic and he didn't numb me up all the way when he pulled a tooth either and when I was moving around because it hurt he yelled at me to put my hand down. They aren't all like that though, you have to see if you can give it a chance and look around and interview someone else who understands how you feel now and how afraid you are. I tell them all up front that I have anxiety and what in particular I am afraid of and I do remind them before something I am particularly apprehensive of. I also ask questions so I know what to expect.

I let my teeth get too far gone in the front and the two next to the very front are coming out. I also had an area of decay in the very front middle that luckily was able to just have a filling done. Next visit I get extractions done and the two decayed will be replaced by a temp flipper. I've been so uncomfortable with the decay I am anxious to see what I look like again without rotting teeth although I am afraid still of getting the work done.

Congrats on the up and coming wedding! :cheers:

Back