• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

more complaints and worries. I am sorry to be whining again.:(

L

LanieM

Another Terrified person....(issues with novacaine.)

I don't even know where to start. I really do just want to vent, and this is going to be so long, i don't expect anyone to read it, but I just feel like I'll feel better to get this "out."

I never really had a problem with going to the dentist, until a few years ago. I had been in the hospital for a kidney stone operation and while I was there, I was accidentaly overdosed and almost killed with an IV painkiller. Since that moment, I became irrationally afraid of medications of any kind- especially ones with needles. Drawing blood and such doesn't bother me. Stitches do not bother me- it's all about the medication going IN to me.

It took about five years for me to even take an antibiotic. Just recently, with my tooth infection, I took Tylenol and cleocin for the first time in five years. It was the first medication of any kind that even entered my body, and I had an extreme panic attack over it. But, i over came it!

Anyway- I have so much wrong in my mouth. One tooth needs pulled. A root canal needs to be finished. Other root canals. Several cavaties. This is truly destroying my life.

I found a dentist last year who did hypnosis dentistry and was willing to work on me without any meds. No shots, no anything. I did that, and though it was quite painful, i had NO PROBLEMS! I thought I was almost done with going, and then found out she was pretty much a quack, and through an xray from another dentisst, that she had not even fully drilled out the decay, and put fillings in over all of them, and everything she told me was "done" was actually not even close. Basically though, going to her made me realize that i was not afraid of the needles, drills, etc- it was just the injections. I CANNOT STAND that numb feeling in my throat, adn I can't stand my heart racing, and i can't stand the thought of the medication entering my body.

So, i started giong to therapy- after several months of treatment for panic attacks and phobias I returned to a differen dentist- I went, and finally dealt with the UPPER injection. Carbocaine without epi. I was SO EXCITED and happy because I was able to handle this- and got the first half of the root canal started. Then the dentist told me at the next appointment he would be doing the lower block and my throat would possibly go numb and that we would use more shots....and i freaked out. I never went back.

I am out of dentists which will accept my insurance. I went to a dentist today which should SERIOUSLY be SHUT dOWN by the health department. It was SO SO SO DIRTY it made me sick. Nothing was sterile.... there were lids left off of old compounds and the injection cartridges were laid out and EXPIRED!!! There was some sort of built up CRUD all over the instruments (I am NOT KIDDING) and the place where you spit into, had DRIED BLOOD splashes on it. I thought I was having a bad dream. Seriously. He came into see me, NEVER even x-rayed the tooth, was EATING while he was talking to me, and then stuck his fingers right into MY mouth, and I could actually taste what he had been eating. No gloves- no anything. It was seriously something out of a third world country. I am still sick over it.

Now, it took 3 weeks to stop this infection which had gone into my jaw, andnow the tooth needs pulled and is starting to hurt again, and i just cannot find the ability to do this. I am down to NO dentists to go to. I am crying and shaking and sick over this. It's all I think about.

I keep looking up online how the novacaine shots can kill you (I read it's rare, but it can happen) and I am 100 percent convinced that if they give me one in my lower jaw- one of those block things, that it will kill me....that it will enter my body instead of my jaw.....i've read how it can happen and that's all i am fixating on. I am in tears as I write this.

Please understand, I am pretty stable, otherwise. I have a full time job, I am a straight A third year college student working on my degree...but this is seriously TAKING OVER MY LIFE.

I don't even know what to do at this point. i am so upset. it's all i can think about. I just keep thinking that as soon as they inject the novacaine, i will not be able to handle it, and it may enter my body and cause a bad heart rhythm (because i have an abnormal one to begin with) and kill me.

And the only solutions people give me are to take pills. Take a valium, take laughing gas, take this or that- well, the problem is that THAT IS my fear. medications ARE MY FEAR because of what happened to me.

I am seriously considering just knocking my teeth out of my own mouth and checking myself into a mental hospital. I feel so compeltely insane for letting this overtake my entire life like this. i can't handle it.

I guess that's it.

thank you for anyone who actually read part of this.

Re: Another Terrified person....(issues with novacaine.)

Hi LanieM,
I am so sorry for everything you have went through and you have every right to feel scared. If I had been through what you have I would be scared too. So, I do not think that your fear is unfounded and it is going to take alot for you to trust a doctor again.
Do you have any friends or family that can recommend a dentist to go too? They might be able to help you find one.
As far as I know dentist do not use Novocaine anymore so I would not worry about that,but if it would make you feel better I would ask the dentist what he uses to numb the mouth.
It is important that you get your teeth taken care of,before the problems get any worst and you start begging to have a dentist fix your teeth just to relieve the pain.
The important thing is to find a dentist that you feel that you can trust.

Re: Another Terrified person....(issues with novacaine.)

QUOTE LANIE :So, i started giong to therapy- after several months of treatment for panic attacks and phobias I returned to a differen dentist- I went, and finally dealt with the UPPER injection. Carbocaine without epi. I was SO EXCITED and happy because I was able to handle this- and got the first half of the root canal started. Then the dentist told me at the next appointment he would be doing the lower block and my throat would possibly go numb and that we would use more shots....and i freaked out. I never went back.

I would recommend you go back to this dentist mentioned above ,pay for any old broken appointment and explain why you didn't go back - you won't be the first patient to have broken off treatment partway through.

Also read this thread for although 'fear of numbness' is not among the most common dental fears, in this as in everything you are not alone:

Personally I love feeling very numb, it enables me to relax....I'd be surprised if anyone had died from LA alone - in fact I have never heard of such a case. Not all websites out there are as reliable as this one. If it is true, it is probably rarer than being struck by lightening.
LA is extremely safe and you are at much less risk at the dentist than in any hospital where the opportunities for the wrong drug type/amount etc are myriad. You may want to do a shorter post on the Dentistry Section as they may be able to allay your fears somewhat...it's a pity the dentist went into so much detail before the appointment....also THEWand or other single tooth anaesthesia method may work better for you as the area numbed is smaller and the duration generally shorter. To stop the racing heart you can have LA without epi.

Why not report the guy you saw today to the relevant authorities..why should he get away with such hygiene infringements? Surely they can send an inspector round to check him out without involving you further. Also report him to your insurance company.

Weird support request...(numbness..)

Hello Everyone.

I took the advice of Brit, and contacted the one dentist who has been able to work on me in the past, and rescheduled for monday for a root canal or extraction, plus some fillings. The only part i'm nervous about, as always, is the numbing. I HATE the feeling of my throat being numb. I'm not having issues about the upper portions, and have recently had a shot in the upper portion. It's just that it's been SO long since work has been done on my lower, that i honestly can't even remember what it's like. I keep envisoning when he says "lower block" that i won't feel anything and won't swallow or breathe, (i know i WILL , i just feel that way, and it's hard to trick my mind into what's really happening.)

So, my question to you all- is can someone please TELL ME what it felt like to THEM having a lower block where they numb everything and your tongue and everything goes numb? I'm aware that it will and is different for everyone, but if someone could pleae just explain to me.... how long did it take to become numb, how long did it last, was it tolerable, where was the numbness, etc? If i have details and things explained, for some reasons it allieviates my anxiety to a great degree.

When i asked my dentist, all he said was "yes, your throat will get a little numb..." but i need to hear about it from someone who has already been through it.

I would appreciate anyone telling me what it was like for them.

Hugs and courage to all of you,
Lanie

Re: Weird support request...(numbness..)

Lanie
Hi again - I hope my advice proves to be sound...such a responsibility ;).
I have had procedures in all areas of my mouth and I have to say I don't ever remember my throat going numb....half my tongue maybe but not my throat....maybe your dentist is just giving you a worst case scenario...they like to do this because then you could be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed if you see what I mean.....'underpromise and overdeliver'
I don't share a fear of numbness at all...I'm a 'bring on the LA now' type but I really hope you can work through this and get the treatment you need...a dentist you like and trust makes such a difference for any procedure - if they know your fear, they can at least sympathise which in itself will help. Agree a stop signal to ask for relaxation breaks should you need them...count to 10, relax....you get the idea...remember you can't feel relaxed and anxious at the same time.....so the more you can relax and 'give in' to the experience the better.....if you feel discomfort though you must alert them immediately so they can give you more LA if necessary.
Would you say your fear of the numb feeling is greater than your fear of dental procedure pain? You can't avoid the one without the other, as you know but I wouldn't say your throat would necessarily be numb.:grouphug:

I'm sorry my lower work has been so long ago I can't remember but I wanted to tell you I had the same apprehension over having my nose numb. Just today about 3 1/2 hours ago I had my first front teeth injections and I was really scared. It wasn't even close to as bad as I had imagined. I actually let my teeth go so bad in the front that I will be having two pulled because I was so afraid of this.

I sort of had to just let myself feel it but not dwell on it. Sort of like ok this is a weird feeling but look I can fully breathe and it is going to be fine. I'm good because I am feeling no pain even though this weird nose sensation is odd.

Oh and another thing I love is now instead of the past it seems like the numbness lasts a whole lot less time than it used to. Seems like years ago it was forever but the mose unpleasant parts of it, the nose or throat type stuff seems to wear off fairly fast. I just have a tiny area on my top lip in the center that is still numbish and the rest is back to normal.

I have had countless injections at the dentist and cant ever recall my throat going numb..:XXLhug: Being numb is very tolerable if not fun, it just feels like everything is big and fat.:ROFLMAO: My dentist normally waits 4-10 minutes after giving me the local before starting and im always completely numb by then. It generally lasts for a few hours. I can remember a while back when I came home from getting some extractions trying to play guitar with a numb mouth and out of it from perscription pain meds. I felt like Jimi Hendrix when he did acid on stage...:rolleyes:

You can do it:cheers:

I have never had my throat numb. I have had half my face, part of my tongue and nose but never my throat. So far, no problems. It lasts about 3 hours or so and then goes away.

Last edited:
First, i just had to say THANK YOU for the people who responded to me over the past few months and helped me gain the courage to go to the dentist. I FINALLY went today, got the dreaded shots which I was fearing, and got the two root canals. The shot was tolerable- my throat did not go numb like I was fearing, because I refused to topical and only got ONE shot. it was so much nicer.

So, now, I have the rest of the work to be done, and I'm hoping the worst is over (only crowns and cavaties from here...) But, now my question is just about the attitude of the dentist. I'm a very sensitive and emotional person, so I don't like to be yelled at or "scolded" when I am 30 years old and don't need a random "professional" in my face yelling at me, especially when Im paying him, but seriously- the last three dentists I have been to have ALL been like this and I am wondering if I'm expecting too much here?

The first one accused me of being a drug addict and said "do you want to spend your whole life a drug addict adn DIE IN THE GUTTER? then GET OvER THIS FEAR AND FiX YOUR TEETH." she didn't understand that I had bad teeth because i have both lupus and sjogrens- two immune disorders which contribute to my teeth basically just crumbling. I don't take drugs and never did or have.

She also asked what I was studying in college and told me it was "stupid" and that i'd never get a job with a degree in religion. HAHAH. I am studying to be a chaplain, but seriously!?!?!? is this "normal?"

So, now, I changed to the man I'm going to now- who is fast and tolerable, but i still have issues about going to him, and now that the worst is over, i'm considering going to someone else for the rest...

TOday, when i told him I had fears concerning too much carbocaine and epi, he asked where i had heard of this, and i told him about this site- i told him i had been looking things up online ,to which he responded "You have too much time on your hands. why don't you do something constructive with your time? "

So, he gave me the shot and started immediately working on me. I was not numb yet at all and felt the entire worst part of the bottom root canal. It started getting numb when he was half finished. Halfway through when he was cleaning it out, with that bleach smelling stuff- he little spray thing was right next to it, and it all spashed up into my nose and one eye. So, lifted my hand to try to get ti out of my eye because itactually burnt. WHen i did, He YELLED at me, as if i was a kid and said "YOU HAVE TO SIT STILL!"

and honestly, i was, because i had been frozen STIFF scared the whole time. But, he didn't ask what was wrong, didn't offer to stop, didn't do anything.

Then, later, i was about to gag because no one was suctioning my mouth, so i tried to move againt o signal him, and ths time he yelled even WORSE at me to "SIT dOWN AND STAY QUIET AND BE STILL" at that point he literally threw something onto his little tray and sighed disgustedly like i was ruining his whole day.

I was so afraid of moving, that i really wasn't. ALl moved wa smy hand both times, and my tongue once.

when i got up to leave, i apologized because I am meek and stupid like- i said "I'm really sorry! I was trying to stay totally still, but i had something in my eye." he totally ignored me, said "do you need anything for pain later?" and then walked out of the room.

So, my question is this- am i being TOO PICKY here????? I'm not asking the guy to roll out the red carpet for me, but COME ON!!! i don't need to be YELLED AT as if it were the tenth time he told me the FIRST TIME, or as if i was a little kid. I'm seriously angry with how he treated me, and would like to find somenoe a little more understanding, but I don't know if it's me expecting too much, because it seems like everyone i go to is so mean like this. It's giving me a complex. lol

I hope you all are well, and thank you again for helping me all! The important thing ,i KNOW, is that mean dentist or NOT, i am DONE WITH MY ROOT canals. : )

Love,
Lanie

:XXLhug: I am on my way to bed and read your post and no you are not being to picky...what a jerk.
If he talked to me like that:cry: I would have been in tears.
That is awful ..I am so sorry you had to experience that.

There is nothing wrong with expecting a dentist to be kind and gental..that's how it should be.

Do you have to go back to him?

Well I am sleepy but I just had to say I am so sorry you we're treated that way...if hes having a bad day he needs to suck it up and wait till hes home to slam stuff against a tray and talk to his dog like that.....not his patient.

Again I am sorry and that in my opinion is not ok.

Congradulations with being done with your root canals.
Well done.
There are so many dentists out there who are kind and gental.you do not deserve that traetment in any way-shape-or form.:XXLhug:

Sounds like the sort of person you should avoid really mate - i'm surprised your not more stressed out by it all to be honest. I am currently in the process of finding a dentist and i hope i don't meet anyone like that. Get yourself hunting a new dentist mate and sound them out properly before you let them loose on your mouth

So, my question is this- am i being TOO PICKY here????? I'm not asking the guy to roll out the red carpet for me, but COME ON!!! i don't need to be YELLED AT as if it were the tenth time he told me the FIRST TIME, or as if i was a little kid. I'm seriously angry with how he treated me, and would like to find somenoe a little more understanding, but I don't know if it's me expecting too much, because it seems like everyone i go to is so mean like this. It's giving me a complex. lol
Lanie

I'm so sorry for what you suffered today...I know it's hard to stop them even when it hurts if they don't seem to care. But the way he spoke to you was nothing short of intimidation and I seriously think you should report him to the authorities. You most certainly are not expecting too much or being too picky...they are the ones with the problem not you.....PLEASE go elsewhere for the rest of your treatment - there was no need to have to suffer pain during that root canal..splashing stuff in your eye....was there no rubber dam?......the attitude to internet research was appalling....such a rude intimidating attitude in general.....who the hell does he think he is?
You have seriously had bad luck coming across 3 such pompous idiots....I hope for your sake you have better luck when picking boyfriends ;D. Was this guy older than you or younger?

Have you checked our dentistfinder for your area? Could you 'pm' me this guy's website if he has one, so I can add to my knowledge of what should be avoided in a dental website although I think I already have a good idea :ROFLMAO:?
What a disgrace to his profession.

Last edited:
Sounds like the sort of person you should avoid really mate - i'm surprised your not more stressed out by it all to be honest. I am currently in the process of finding a dentist and i hope i don't meet anyone like that. Get yourself hunting a new dentist mate and sound them out properly before you let them loose on your mouth

Don't worry Red, such accounts are very rare even on here - most people who weren't so afraid as the OP was (she was frozen with fear) wouldn't put up with it and would have kicked him where it hurt and walked out.
If it's an issue for you though - (any such behaviour in UK would be seriously frowned on by the GDC if you made a complaint) - take someone along with you to your appointments...it's your right in the UK to have a companion if you want one.

Hi LanieM
Me again I've just merged your 3 threads in Support because I wanted to check if you were the poster 'taking my advice' and returning to a previous dentist.
You'd said before everything had been fine...and you were just afraid to go back because he'd said your throat would go numb.....otherwise I wouldn't have suggested returning in the first place...was his behaviour today totally different from at the previous appointment?
I only stay with dentists I feel mean well and who I like and trust and the red carpet treatment....or at least making you feel welcomed and valued as a customer...is absolutely what you should be looking for in your permanent dentist...as you said you are certainly paying them enough.
Note for moderators: I found out it is possible to merge old threads but to use the latest title as the heading rather than original title.

There is NO excuse for a Dentist being like that NONE. The last one I went to for an extraction was a big jerk like that too. I was yelled at and felt like trash. My current Dentist is calm and soft spoken and while I am still most of the time with my hands folded in my lap, if something is wrong I will move and he understands I may need something and asks.

Just sending along big hugs to you. There really is no excuse for the type of behaviour you encountered. It's such a shame that there are still people out there like that...they are the reason that dentistry has gotten such a bad and generally undeserved reputation over the years. I promise, there are many very nice, professional dentists out there who would be horrified to hear of the way you've been treated.

It's never too picky to want to be treated with dignity and respect...you deserve nothing less. I certainly would tolerate no less than that from somebody to whom I was paying a substantial amount of money to perform a service for me. Remember, that's what a dentist is.

Well done for getting the root canals done :jump::jump::jump:!!!

Your dentist's behaviour is absolutely unacceptable :mad: and you're most certainly not being picky - it's people like that who give dentists a bad name. You may want to consider sending a letter of complaint. I do hope you will be able to find a gentle and caring dentist soon - they are definitely out there and in the majority I would hope :).

Back