• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cleaning Partial Dentures

J

Jiggers27

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to clean a partial denture plate (acrylic)?

Just got it in today so any advice would be very much appreciate.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I use my normal toothpaste and brush to clean my partial. One tip tho...........

always clean it over a sink full of water, that way if it slips out of your hand the water will cushion it.

i also soak mine in steradent once a week.

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, just what i was looking for :)

Jenny

yvw jenny, i forgot to add, whilst you can purchase a " denture toothbrush", a normal soft toothbrush will do just as well, a hard bristle one could damage the partial.

ok thats great thank you :)

Hope you dont mind me asking but did it take a while for you to get used to it ie eating, speech etc?

Jenny

Although I haven't got partials (but full dentures) I think the principle of cleaning will be the same because of the acrylic and the actual teeth. I was told not to use ordinary toothpaste as it could be too abrasive because I did think when I first had dentures, of using up what I had, so I bought Dentucreme which is absolutely lovely, tastes nice, need very very little so is very economic and cleans beautifully.

My bottom partial was an immediate, ie four lower front teeth out and partial fitted there and then, i had no probs talking or eating with that.
The top partial was fitted to fill gaps i already had, and took longer to get used too. The palate itself was too far back in my mouth, so was trimmed which made a lot of difference, no gagging etc. Chewing on both sides at the same time helped. And i persevered with it regarding speech. I'd sit reciting the alphabet, ( when i was alone, I hasten to add lol) talking to myself etc seemed to help. I even recorded myself on the pc and played it back lol.
It wont take long to get used to it, good luck.

DO NOT USE TOOTHPASTE, it's far too abrasive and will take the polish off your new denture.

Use either a special denture paste or good old fashioned washing up liquid and warm water :)
Buy a proper denture brush to clean the denture with and remember to remove the denture when you're brushing your remaining teeth too.

About once a week you should soak the denture for 20mins or so in a mild solution of bleach (really!) Use a ratio of one cap of bleach to one cup of COLD water. Remember and rinse it off well before you put it back in! This helps prevent candida yeast from colonising the acrylic of the denture which can be transferred to you if your body's defences get a bit run down.

<< smacks hand, i wasnt advised as to what to use to clean my partial, so i have been using euthymol toothpaste on my partial ( my normal toothpaste) and also steradent once a week.

Don't be silly, you gave a whole lot of excellent advice and made one very minor mistake, that's a heck of a ratio for a non-professional.

Get rid of the Steradent though, the bleach solution works much better and doesn't potentially give you candida infestation the way Steradent tends to.

Back