• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Aching jaw and teeth?

S

scared2bthere

I have been getting work done since November now. I've had two root canals and two extractions as well as a cleaning and one filling so far. It just seems like my jaw hurts on both sides. I'm not sure if things are shifting or if my bite is changing and making my jaw hurt or what is going on. I was only able to eat on my right side prior to the Dental work but now I can only eat on my left side because of the last extraction and lack of teeth on r side, so that has changed too. Anyone else experience this sort of thing? It's different than a tooth pain it's more general and aches

Sounds like your TMJ is flaring up a wee bit, probably due to all the changes in your teeth. There are a few different things that might help, but it would be easier if you discussed it with your dentist.

What gordon said. TMJ pain can get BAD and yes, it can make your teeth hurt. Try heat or ice (whichever helps more) and ibuprofen and do talk to your dentist too. Also consider chiropractic...I didn't think there was any way my chiro could help my jaw - until he did an adjustment and got me back to feeling close to 100% after 2 weeks of eating Vicodin like candy.

Thanks, I have an appt on the 24th so I'll try to remember to ask him then. It's a scary appt for me so I don't know if I will remember but if not I can call after. It's just getting to where it is hurting every day all day long. :(

Hi STBT

I sympathise hugely as I've been going through similar dental problems for as long as you... I posted on here a while back and was -very- grateful for the help I received.

Brief summary - since December... 2 problem teeth (bottom left molars), dressing fillings, then root canals, then retreatments of root canals... took months for each tooth, with loads of different antibiotics for each, and a shedload of painkillers. Not funny. Both teeth eventually extracted, one in March, the other a couple of weeks ago, which was the last thing I wanted at the beginning of the process, but by the end of the saga with both they could have taken off my head! No teeth remaining bottom left. Horrible.

I'm thinking of marketing the 'root canal diet' as I've lost 14lbs....!

I am in now exactly the same position as you.... very sore jaw and -very- sore teeth - as in wake up at 3am with sore teeth sore! And, like you, my whole mouth hurts - and hurts badly.

For me, the above troubles have been diagnosed as caused by grinding at night which I have been doing for many years, but with all this dental work I am apparently now doing it worse and differently. I therefore worry about grinding when I go to sleep, as I certainly would NOT want to go through all the above again and crack and lose any more teeth, so I think that makes it worse. I now seem to grind and clank and crash my teeth in the most strange way ever and wake myself up doing it!

Thankfully, my new dentist is making me a new guard which I get middle of next week which I so hope will sort all this out.

I had a NTI guard (from my old dentist) which I'd been using religiously but it has now been said this has been the cause of my troubles rather than the cure for them as I had thought when I spent lots of dosh on the wretched thing a number of years ago.

My bite, like yours, is well off and I will be very, very grateful if this new guard is the answer. I will certainly let you know if it cures the jaw, teeth and mouth pain.

MC

Well, have had the new (soft-ish) guard in now for 5 nights to try and help with a mega grinding problem whereby I'm cracking my teeth and needing loads of dental work ending up, unfortunately in my case, with extractions. Would not wish it all on anyone.

Upside is, the guard is no problem to sleep in - as in none, don't even know it's there. Brilliant fit, not even aware of it. Amazed by that.

Downside - I seem to clench rather than grind now - and wake up with all my bottom teeth feeling as though they've been in a vice. One tooth, in particular, is just agony - the 'highest' one in my mouth these days - and it throbs all day and feels like the most sensitive tooth you've ever felt. Only about this time of night - 9ish - do I seem to get any respite (and that after a day of painkillers!).

My dentist says I need to get used to it all. But, I am still losing weight as I am not able to eat properly yet on the extraction side, and the aching tooth is on the other side.

If I could see some light at the end of this very long tunnel I would be very grateful. Did anyone else have these woes with a new guard, and does it go away? Does the sensitive tooth thing ring any bells with anyone and does that go away?

To be honest, without this forum to read the last months I think I would have gone nuts.

My thanks to you all.

Annie, thanks for your understanding reply. The guard is soft-ish and on my bottom teeth. Re my jaw, I do conciously try and keep it relaxed when awake. I don't have any of the headaches etc that others seem to suffer badly from if they grind so in that regard I'm more fortunate than most. I am, however, getting quite despondent that I will ever be normal again...teeth seem to have taken over my whole life.

How are you gettting on, STBT? Are you still in pain?

Back