• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

question about gum growing over tooth?

R

rosy

I will be getting a cavity fixed next week where the gum has grown a little bit over the tooth and I am really nervous about bleeding there when he goes to fix it. I have tried to see If I can move the gum over with a toothpick and the blood will just come pouring out and that just scares me. I don't like the taste of blood and worry that the bleeding won't stop. Is there anything you can tell me to ease my mind about getting this tooth fixed?

The bit of gum you're talking about is inflammatory tissue and because of this has a very rich blood supply and bleeds easily. However any bleeding that occurs when the dentist is filling the tooth can usually be quickly dealt with, it's not a big deal. Poking about at it yourself will probably make it worse though so just try to ignore it if you can.

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for answering question,but I am still nervous about it. Just how do they stop the bleeding? I am more nervous about the gum than I am about getting the tooth filled.

Even with people who have some clotting issues, bleeding from the gums eventually stops. What you describe happens quite commonly as the gum tissues tend to grow like weeds in some circumstances. If the dentist has a laser or electrosurge device, they can actually adjust the gum a little to get it back to it's normal shape with no bleeding at all. In other cases, just a little pressure with some gauze or nothing at all makes any minor amount of bleeding stop.

Ever get a paper cut? Does it stop bleeding after a while? Same thing really. The gum is apparently the fastest healing tissue in the human body. Someone told me that a long time ago.

Hubby had a similar experience. The dentist that worked on his cavity ended up cutting the gum back. No stitches and with care it just healed on its own.

For some reason I remember an old remedy of biting down on a wet tea bag. Take a warm or cold tea bag, squeeze till its dry and bite down/hold it against the bleeding site. I believe it has something to do with the tannin in the tea. It must be a regular run of the mill tea bag and not anything herbal.

Don't forget to remove the staple if there is one :p

Last edited:
I guess I am a wimp,because I am scared to get this tooth fixed. I don't like the taste of blood in my mouth. I sure hope I make it without having a panic attack.

Call me odd, but I've got no idea what blood tastes like...

Tea bags are very good for stopping bleeding and you're right about the tannin.

is there anyway to correct this a bit yourself? My appointment isnt for 2 weeks but I have this problem on one tooth. I was brushing too hard and the gumline on this one tooth has risen pretty high up

The gum is apparently the fastest healing tissue in the human body. Someone told me that a long time ago.

Heheh zz - sorry to lower the tone but my antenatal consultant said that was the perineum...;D

I I'll juuust have to take your word on that fact there. :( I'm glad that I haven't had a chance to personally find out about that. :innocent:

In regards to gum recession from hard brushing, unfortunately there's not a whole lot a person can do about it themselves other than use a soft tootbrush and use gentle brushing techniques. If the problem is quite pronounced, sometimes gum surgery can be an option.

Back