Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: top molar extraction- extreme pain

Default top molar extraction- extreme pain

hi there,
      i had a molar removed on friday. the procedure was pretty simple because the tooth was loose. after the tooth was pulled my dentist gave me amoxcillon. over the weekend i was writhing in pain. called him yesterday, went back to the office. he told me everything looked fine and gave me tylenol 3's. woke up this morning still in tons of pain. it is shooting up my cheek, really hurts. and my throat gland on the side where the tooth was is swollen too. is this normal? i didn't have this much pain when my wisdom teeth were pulled. what is going on? yesterday he told me that i shouldn't have any pain at all but it is excruciating. help!

Default Re: top molar extraction- extreme pain

If the dentist is telling you you shouldnt have pain, and you are still in pain, then I would go immediately back to him so he can check why on earth you are experiencing pain because there's bound to be a reason.

i feel the same way. but he just shrugged it off and gave me tylenol 3's.
      is it normal to feel pain after 4 days?

Having a little bit of Gorgonzola with crackers!

That is very unusual especially since you mentioned that the tooth was loose to begin with. Your dentist might want to take another look to see what is going on, but it sounds like he might not know exactly. Was there a long standing abscess in the area around the roots? I wonder if there could be some sort of persisting infection in the area that the amoxicillin isn't taking care of.
      Cheese, Gromit, where's the Cheeeese???

could it be a dry socket....those are painful but if you go back to the dentist the pain can be alliviated immidiatly.
      Grateful for each & every Day

Unhappy Re: top molar extraction- extreme pain

the dentist said it seemed too be healing fine. my cheek is very tender/painful to the touch, all the way up to under my eye. do you think this is from infection? a friend has suggested something about nerve problems, is this possible?

(and by nerve problems, he did not mean nervous )
      thank you for your responses.

I'd have the Dentist check it again if the pain is the same today. I'm not sure if it would be nerve if it didn't start for a couple days. You can also get a lighted dental mirror and look at it yourself to see if the clot is still in there.

I had one extraction that had really bad pain as soon as the numbness wore off. Thankfully it settled down that night but when I called the dentist to ask why it was hurting so bad he had no clue. The tooth had a deep root and was not an easy extraction and had been abscessed for a couple months.

swirl,
      How are you doing today?

not any better
      i went back to the dentist and he said he could find nothing wrong and gave me different antibiotics and referred me to an oral surgeon?