• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A Little Blue Pill?

S

ScardyKat

Oh my, kudos to everyone!

I'm new and never, NEVER believed there was a site like this. Always thought I was on my own with my woosiness!!!

Embarrassment and shame prevail as I haven't been to the dentist for years. Years? Decades!!! Kinda thought I'd die before I went back to a dentist! Or was that die when I went to the dentist? Ahh well, s'bin AGES anyways!!!
Now here I am, taking care of my skin, my heart, my lungs (yeah RIGHT!) but I cannot handle someone even looking in my mouth.
(Mind outta the gutta PLEASE!!!)
Here's my question. In the UK, I was dragged screaming and kicking to a dentist (after a valium!) to be IV sedated.
Here I am offered "a little blue pill" which will "make me silly", scared to close my eyes in case I "fall asleep" and be totally "cool" with it. HAH!
I AM NOT CONVINCED!!!!!!!!
Any feedback .... professional or otherwise ... about what "a little blue pill" is would be gratefully received. Let me tell ya, if it is valium (or generic) ... IT'S NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys,
ScardyKat:hidesbehindsofa:

Last edited:
There is an entire line of relaxants out there that are used in dentistry these days. For me valium (or the generic - diazepman) was enough for me not to give two hoots.

And... it is blue

Don't come here to tell Valium doesn't work. Because I'm living proof it works. Maybe you're somehow different from me, you have a different brain or something... but to anyone reading this thread, don't lose hope with anti-anxiety drugs, they may work wonders.

But if you think it isn't enough, it won't be because you don't trust it. IV may be the best choise for you.

:oops: I didn't mean to insinuate that valium doesn't work its just that I am a little set in my ways and cannot believe or imagine that I could ever be comfortable having work done while awake! Also, I was curious what the pill was as I'm having trouble finding IV sedation and taking a pill to visit the dentist is new territory for me.

I've posted elsewhere in the forum and have to agree with FinnishGirl

I had my doubts after well as being prescribed ambien by from family doc just to sleep (because I was so hell bent and nerve wracked about the dentist) because it didn't work. Despite taking it I STILL couldn't stay asleep in the overnight.

After shaking profusely after all they wanted to do was look in my mouth and take x-rays my wonderful dentist prescribed valium.

After taking it 1 hr before the appt and being in the chair 40 min - my response was "That was it?" I still think I fell asleep somewhere - but it can't be proven.

I had never in a million years (after not seeing a dentist for 20 yrs) would have thought those words would have been uttered from my mouth, but they were.

I was really close to finding a sedation dentist but gave this a shot (no pun intended) instead and I am glad that I had.

Not that I'm against sedation - sometimes it is necessary. But I wouldn't "knock it till ya tried it".

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback guys; it really helps.

A friend gets xanax which she claims works. What is the difference between xanax and valium? Which is most effective?

(Oh Lordy, here comes the cold sweats and shakes again - this is ridiculous!)

Thanks for the link Mikey ... very helpful indeed.
:cheers:

Back