• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about loose teeth

K

kimbaka

Hello, a few weeks ago I noticed that one of my teeth had become slightly loose so I decided it was time to visit the dentist.  I hadn't been in about 7 years or so, so it was definitely overdue.  Anyways, the dentist said it didn't look like anything too serious after examining x-rays, and there there wasn't much concern regarding bone loss (I'm 22), but that periodontitis is definitely present, and I needed some kind of treatment.  

The periodontist suggested me for gross debridement.  During my waiting period before this procedure, I had begun using very good hygiene (brushing after every meal and flossing), and my loose tooth began to firm up and feel a lot better.  This was about one week before I had the gross debridement done, and my mouth was feeling good.   Finally, I just had this procedure done one week ago from today.  Now this procedure was pretty rough on the gums and teeth, and there was a lot of bleeding.  Ever since I had it done, I've noticed that a lot of my teeth feel slightly loose now, including the one that was loose originally.  It's nothing major, when I look in the mirror I can't even detect the movement but I can definitely feel it with my fingers and certain teeth feel very sensitive when i touch them or eat.  

I was just wondering if this is a normal response from patients after getting debridement done and if so, how long does it take for the teeth to firm up and feel normal again?  Any input is appreciated, thanks.  

I had the exact same feeling after having mine done. Im nit sure what causes it but after a couple of weeks it went away ;)

This is a process of getting your gums to a normal healthy condition. Often the reason you will notice loose teeth after a thorough cleaning is because the unhealthy tartar that was glued to your teeth - and thereby gluing your teeth together.. :o is now gone. The tartar holds bacteria right next to the gums and leads to more gum disease or periodontitis so it does need to be removed to promote a healthy mouth. The conditions that the tartar provide if left in place is like a party atmosphere for bacteria - but not a nice party for the mouth.. more of a crack house party than Saturday night at the palladium, if you get my drift. Floss, brush and do all the things that the nice hygienist told you about and you will give your gums the best chance to recover.

Of course you will need to go through a healing period post-cleaning, but after that things should improve. :)

Hope that helps.

Pars :)

Thank you both very much for your responses, I feel way better now.  I just wish the dentist would have given me a warning, it's a scary feeling to notice your teeth loose for the first time.  And thanks for the expert explanation Pars, everything makes sense.  :)  I'm definitely going to brush and floss like crazy from here on out.

Back