• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Braces and having teeth pulled out

W

Wai

Okay, of all my phobias, going to the dentist is one of them (which isn't surprising for anyone, since I joined this forum). The last time I went to the dentist was late in 2005 (less than three years ago). I had a lot of tartar build up in my mouth. I didn't even know what that stuff was; I just though it was part of my teeth lol! Ever since that massive clean up, I've been looking after my teeth more carefully, but still, I can see small traces of decay on three bottom teeth. I'm not sure about my upper teeth.

Now, the real problem; braces. Imagine you are facing me. From your point of view, my bottom left canine tooth is portruding at an angle outwards and it is pushing the tooth to its right slightly inwards. The rest of my teeth appear to be fine (although I'm not sure if they would classify as being "overcrowded"). This is the main reason why I never smile and show my bottom teeth in photos; I only show my upper teeth. The canine tooth isn't really bothering my mouth, but I'm worried that it may continue pushing itself further forwards and the other tooth inwards and I will start getting bothered by them. I think that canine tooth is screwed up because I didn't pull out the baby canine tooth in its place when I should have (pulling my own baby teeth back then was pretty daunting for me).

So a few days ago, I mentioned to my mother that I was thinking of getting braces for the first time. She had already suggested that I should visit the dentist within these holidays, which conclude at the end of next week. My two best friends recently had their braces removed and now their teeth are perfect, but they said the experience was very painful. They each had four teeth pulled out before getting braces.

I am willing to get braces for my bottom teeth only if I do not need to have any teeth pulled out. I am really hoping that I won't need to have any teeth pulled out, but from what I can see in the mirror, I may need to have either the canine tooth or the one that it's pushing inwards pulled out prior to getting braces. If one of the teeth are pulled out, straightening the rest of my teeth with braces should be no problem, and I'm sure of it, but there may be an odd gap left behind.

I have had numerous dreams in my sleep where I encounter a genie that is willing to grant me three wishes, with one of my wishes being "Give me perfect teeth!" I'll be seeing the dentist some time soon.

So can you guys help cure my current paranoic state? :cry:

I had to have 3 teeth taken out for braces also, but that doesen't mean everyone would have to. The only part of it that was really uncomfortable was the first week of having them on, because my mouth was really sore and hurting a little bit. After that I just got used to it and it was fine.

What pain are you worried about? Having teeth extracted? - because that should be painless during the procedure and any discomfort (some people have no discomfort) afterwards can be headed off by taking painkillers before you think you need them.

Or is it discomfort and soreness while wearing them? I think you are only supposed to get mild discomfort just after the orthodontist has tightened the braces up lasting for a few hours maybe. It is not a constant pain or no one would get braces surely. I had the oldfashioned sort back in the 1970s and that wasn't painful at all...in fact going to the orthodontist frequently made seeing the general dentist far less scary....familiarity breeds contempt.

Maybe see a different orthodontist from the one your friends saw if they are not recommending the experience.

You could also look into Invisalign which is a different method but can't be used in all cases.
A positive attitude can go a long way with all these issues...as you are already (probably unnecessarily) so self-conscious about smiling, then maybe getting braces done properly is the way to hit this on the head.

Last edited:
A bit of both I guess, but I mainly don't want teeth pulled out, even if it hurts or not.

A bit of both I guess, but I mainly don't want teeth pulled out, even if it hurts or not.
Buy why not? Try to work out why you are so reluctant? Are you afraid of needles? I had 4 removed under GA for my braces and then later on, a single tooth removed with just local anaesthetic and it was a positive experience honestly.

Well, I guess I can only provide further details after my next visit! :giggle: I'll probably have to get the two teeth with slight decay on it filled up before getting braces (if I end up doing so).

The answer to reluctance about dental treatment is invariably the same....find a dentist you like and trust...end of story in many many cases. Research well, don't just go along to any old practice....your main fear is probably 'fear of the unknown'.

I really wasn't expecting to receive a placement on the day I requested an appointment in a public dental clinic. Anyway, that was yesterday. My dentist suggested that I should get braces, because the position of the two teeth make brushing more difficult. She also said that I've got a bit of overcrowding in my bottom teeth, but my top ones appear fine. My next appointent will be on the 24th of this month.

An update from me:

I got an X-ray a few weeks ago to see where my wisdom teeth are (they haven't come out yet). Today I went to the dentist to have a look at the results and unsurprisingly, all four of them are screwed up. Three of them don't have enough room to come out while the fourth is actually laying on its side.

What are the main consequences for not getting these four buggers out? I'm expecting to have them pulled out next year some time.

Wai

Last edited:
I had three teeth pulled for braces 20 years ago. When your teeth move back they'll fill in the gap...hardly anyone will notice.

What I hate is the sound when they're yanking 'em out. I did a "time-out" sign with the dentist a few times!

I need some out now, and I'm opting for IV.

Sounds like me....I have always dreamed that the genie would give me three wishes as well but only needed one so I could have straight teeth! By the sounds of it I would kill for your teeth as they are! Mine are extremely crooked top and bottom and I thought I would have to have teeth removed for braces but I have since seen the orthodontist and she has said that as long as I have my wisdom teeth out that I can get Invisilign to straighten my teeth without having to remove any other teeth. Having now had my wisdom teeth out a few days ago I believe that all my teeth with the invisilign will be moved back into the spot where the wisdom teeth were therefore making more room up front. The dentist also said if I need more room inbetween my teeth they can file some of the teeth down.

If you plan on getting braces it is recommended that you remove the wisdom teeth cos they often can move the other teeth later down the track and then all that money and time is wasted with the braces.

Wisdom teeth seem to pose no benefit to anyone lol. Has anyone here not had any problems with their wisdom teeth?

However, I'm just a little worried because the dentist told me that I'd probably have to have a mini-surgery, where the surgeon digs into my gums and bone to excavate the wisdom teeth. From my friends' experiences, this has proven rather disastrous (a few of them got infections while another ended up with a screwed up bottom jaw). Should I just have my back molars pulled out and then let the wisdom teeth grow out in their place?

Okay, it has almost been a year since my last update!

I have been offerred an appointment to have my wisdom teeth extracted from my gums. It doesn't sound pleasant at all, but all I know is that I'll be put asleep and hopefully will remain asleep until the operation is over.

Hi Wai

I was put to sleep to have my 13 teeth removed and my 6 implants put in and can honestly say I wish I had done it ages ago and I wish I hadn't got so worked up about it - it was brlliant!

I then went on to have braces which I have had for nearly 10 months. I have experienced no pain at all only slight pressure when they are tightened once a month, but have never taken pain killers.

I do have an OS and a dentist that I completely trust which helps but my monthly tightening and cleaning visits have definately improved my phobia.

Good luck and keep us posted

:)

Waii You are going to do great:cheers:

OMG April you are so brave 13 extractions!! :respect::respect::respect:

My four wisdom teeth are being extracted this coming Wednesday. Before I wasn't thinking much about the surgery, but now I'm starting to get dental fears again...

Back