• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Low grade fever. High grade pain after extraction

S

Stevesinpain

I had a tooth extracted (31) on Friday. It is now Monday and the pain is still the same...throbbing on the brink of unbearable.

Today, I went to the dentist who pulled the tooth and he checked for infection and dry socket and found none. He still wanted to pack it with medicated dressing but I get nervous about those things because I have many weird allergies. So, he told me to go home and wait it out...to use orajel and ice packs. He said the pain should peak today and gradually get better.

I went to another dentist today as well just because he is right down the road and I am a worrier. He confirmed the same thing. No infection and no dry socket.

The thing that I forgot to tell both of them is that I have had a low fever ranging from 99.0 - 99.8 throughout the weekend and through today. But sometimes it goes back down to 98.6. I've also been on 400mg of Advil every 4-6 hours this whole time so I don't know if my fever would be higher without the Advil. The Advil really does next to nothing for the pain but I cannot take any higher pain medication due to seizure medication I take. I am also allergic to every antibiotic I have ever taken! Yeah, I know. So the thought of actually having to take an antibiotic if this is an infection makes me very nervous. :(

However, I have heard from a few people (one of them my mother, haha!) that a low grade fever is normal when the body is recovering from something like an extraction. I also haven't had much sleep in the past three nights and have been stressing about the pain. And the dentist did say that it was a very difficult extraction for him to do. And two dentists said they saw no sign of infection...so I'm just looking for s few more opinions. I was never this big of a baby until my kids were born! How did they do that? :redface:

I'm sorry I can't offer you any help but I am sorry you are going through this. After one extraction I had done, (it was infected though thus the reason it was extracted) anyway after the numb feeling started to wear off I had the worst pain. Thankfully it did go away. I had to stop on the drive home and use oragel and ibuprophen. I did ask the Dentist about it and he offered me no explaination. I know I've had other's (extractions) and never did they hurt like that. I was left wondering if it could be some sort of nerve pain or something that got irritated. I'm grasping though because I just don't know what it was. I hope you start feeling better fast!

Yes. I always have a fever when I go through any kind of surgery. It's just your body's way of saying "Hey, what truck ran me over?!" That's the way the nurse explained it to me. :) That's really awful that you can't take any antibiotics, they should make some that are safe for everybody to take. I hope you find the relief and answers you seek from one of our friendly dentists, here.

Thank you both for your replies. It feels good to know there are people out there that care. :)

My fever has gone below 99. It has been between 98.4-98.9 so I think I can rule the infection out for now (yes I just knocked on wood :rolleyes:)

I think the pain is diminishing. It has now been almost 4 days (93 hours so far). It seems to be a different pain as well. Not so much of a constant throbbing but more of a local pain where the extraction took place. Of course, it has always felt a little better in the morning before I get up and start moving around.

I'm nervous about the amount of Advil I am taking though but I really feel like the dentist made me that way with a badly timed comment. After I told him that all I could take for pain was Advil he said "oh, well ya know, people die from taking Advil. They just cover it up."

Maybe its true as its true that all kinds medications probably have sadly taken a few lives but why would he say that to me at this time!? So as much as I try not to think about it and reassure myself that I have been taking Advil for years with no side effects and that yeah, I am taking a larger dosage (400-600mg every 5-6 hours) I am not exceeding the maximum dosage of 3200mg. AND I have informed my primary care physician of my dosage. So I think I covered all the bases but I'm still nervous. As if ripping my tooth out wasn't bad enough.:(

Thanks for letting me vent. My wife is overdue with our next baby and I don't want to vent it on her. Thanks! :)

P.S. Please don't tell me any horror stories about Advil! Let me be ignorant for now. But feel free to tell me it'll be ok! :jump:

Gah! Don't worry about the advil. Way back in late December/January I was taking loads of Advil daily (never going over the recommended dosage mind you) and I'm perfectly fine. I hope the pain goes away for good soon hun! ::hugs::

Back