• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

whitening strips on temporary crowns?

B

booren29

u may laugh at the question but im curious. i have to wear this temporary bridge for 3 months and im nervous about them staining worse or in a different way then my natural, surrounding teeth. are whitening strips pointless/harmful/the same as usual.....thanks:thumbsup:

Hi :),
crowns don't change colour with whitening (permanent ones, anyway, and I don't think temporary ones would be different in that regard). The difficulty with this is, if your crowns have been matched to blend in with your natural teeth, you may find that the crowns will look darker than the surrounding teeth after bleaching. To prevent this from happening, you should bleach first before the permanent crowns are colour-matched and ordered.

The home-whitening strips that you can buy in stores don't seem to have that much of an effect though. If you are really serious about whitening, you may want to have a whitening tray professionally made (i.e. by a dentist). The drawback is that you'll have to repeat the procedure every so often, and that's a hassle. Also some people with sensitive teeth find it hurts.

If you do want to get your teeth whitened though, the best time to do it is before colour-matching the permanent crowns. That way, your dentist will have an idea what the final result of the bleaching looks like. Existing crowns can't be whitened and your only (rather expensive) option would be to replace them, if you want the shades to match.

I know, it's a bummer :(

ohh mann.... yea its ok though ive already been wearing the temps for a month and they seem to blend in the same. i was only wondering because i wanted to be able to brighten the shade of my temps if they started to stain darker than my natural teeth. im hoping that since i will have to be wearing them for so long that the acrylic wont stain and be so obvious next to my natural teeth. thanks for the help though im glad i didnt go ahead and do that.

Yeah, I think I misunderstood your question - Zzz gave a much better answer in your other thread! glad it was of help all the same though :)

Back