• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain after extraction and dentures

A

angelatzk

I finally had 8 teeth pulled on top and immediate dentures put in Tuesday. I also had a filling done on bottom that is bothering me.
My top left is hurting pretty bad and I had sore spots that want seem to ease up. I went back in yesterday and the dentist adjusted them but they are really hurting today. The back tooth extraction is throbbing with pain and the pain killers I am taking only last 3 hours but I can only take one every 6 hours so I hurt for 3 hours. Please help!! I can't sleep and I am hurting pretty bad. If you have any advice please let me know. Is this pain normal? I am taking vicodin for the pain, can I take it more often? I can't get in to see the dentist until Monday so I am afraid I will have to go all weekend like this and I only have 3 pain pills left.

Thank you,
Angelatzk:shame:

Sorry to hear you're hurting!

Does ibuprofen help at all in doses of 600-800 mg? It has somehow always seemed to be the most effective pain reliever for me when the pain is mouth-related....

I don't know anything about dentures, I'm afraid. I just wanted to lend my sympathies and let you know someone's thinking about you. :grouphug:

I'm no dentist but I would think pain that bad needs attention. Can you call and get an emergency appointment today or somwhere else even on an emergency basis? Wow I don't think letting it sit all weekend is going to be a great experience. I'm so sorry to hear you are in pain, I am soooo sick of mouth pain myself!

I sorry to hear you are having so much trouble.I know it can be discouraging when we finally pluck up the courage to go to the dentist and then things don't seem better but I promise you that the hard part is over and there is a light at the end of this tunnel.
I had a top immidiate denture about 3 in a half months ago...and I went back about once a week to get the sore spots sorted aout....as soon as you have a chance go back and see your dentist.
When I had sore spots what worked well gor me was orajel and advil and a hot bath.
I took 2 advil,took a nice hot bath then put the orajel on my sore spots and that really seemed to help.
I wish you luck and hope you feel better soon.:XXLhug:

I've just had upper and lower complete dentures put in the same day as you. My uppers haven't given me a lot of trouble so far, but they were definitely uncomfortable at first. The lowers... not fun at all.

My dentist (and the folks here) told me that I could leave the denture out if I like. The main reason to keep it in, aside from having teeth and getting used to wearing it, is to actually develop those sore spots so the dentist can see where you need adjustments made to the denture.

Not sure if that's an option for you - I work from home so I can be toothless if I like.

My dentist prescribed Vicodin for me as well, and my bottle says every 4-6 hours. I'm not a doctor, so there could be a perfectly good reason it says 6 hours on yours. My biggest issue with Vicodin is it will make me really nauseous if I don't eat. Ibuprofen has been good to me, I'd have to agree with Charity that it works really well for mouth/tooth pain.

My upper front extraction sites have been really bothering me from last night on, too. I've been taking 600-800mg every four hours like clockwork (even waking up to take it because of the pain). I would think it should work for you. If nothing else it ought to help fill in the gaps with your Vicodin schedule.

If you decide to leave your dentures out for very long, make sure you keep really good notes on which spots are bugging you the most.

I got mine adjusted today, and I took them out when I got home, but I did go to the grocery store with my wife first. I'm not agoraphobic, but I don't go out in public without a good reason and definitely not if I'm not feeling pretty "together". (Dealing with people requires a lot of effort on my part.)

So that I wore them around the store means I was feeling pretty good about them.

It gets better. I'm kind of in the same place you are - a little worried/scared about how things are going - but it gets better. We've just got a lot of turmoil in our mouths right now and it's hard for dentures to feel comfortable while so much healing is needed.

If the pain is that bad, you might want to contact your dentist and see what he recommends. Certainly if the denture is contributing to the soreness, you can remove it to give yourself a break.

Back