• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long should the pain last after wisdom tooth extraction?

J

jubaltroop

Hello All,

I am a newbie and would value anyone's advice.

On Thursday morning I had my upper left wisdom tooth and the two teeth in front of it removed under conscious sedation (which is wonderful by the way). I had advanced gum disease around the two teeth in front of the wisdom tooth, and had been in pain on and off for about 6 weeks before the dentist finally agreed to take them out, (I have also been on three lots of antibiotics in that time).

My query is, how long should I be in pain for? It is worse today (3rd day) then it was yesterday. I have been taking anti inflammatory tablets (twice a day) and pain killers (cocadmol or max strength ibuprofen) as and when, but the pain is worse today.

Many thanks.

Jubaltroop

Last edited:
Hello and :welcome:.If the pain is worse than the tooth ache was I would go back to see your dentist if possiable.
It may be a Dry Socket...those are very painful and that hole side of y0our face hurts....if it turns out you do have a dry socket your dentist can pack it and medicate it and the pain is allmost gone instantly.So go back and have it checked out.
I have had 2 dry sockets and each time I remeber saying I would rather give birth agin.
Your in my thoughts and please let us know how you get on.
Good Luck.:XXLhug:

Thanks for answering Mary. I hope to God it's NOT a dry socket, I've had just about enough of dentists to last me forever! Mind you it's my own fault, I am absolutely petrified of the dentist and hadn't been for 15 years before this bout. It's only because I found one who does 'conscious sedation' that I've started going again!

Jubaltroop.

Back