Thread: Extracted Molar - hole seems huge?

Default Extracted Molar - hole seems huge?

Hello,

I would very much like your advice.

After staying away from dentists for 15 years due to phobias, I finally had to go after my toothache wouldn't go away.

The problem was around the two molars just before my upper left wisdom tooth. Dentist said I had advanced gum disease around the first molar (which also had a gold crown), and it was comprimising the health of the other two. After 6 weeks of on and off pain, 3 lots of antibiotics and deep cleaning around the teeth it was evident to us both that they needed to come out.

Last Thursday morning, under conscious sedation, I had them all removed. All seemed fine, the bleeding stopped after a few hours, the pain was bearable, but I took an anti inflammatory tablet, some pain killers and had an early night. Friday, still very sore, but bearable. Yesterday (Saturday), awful pain, pain killers only took the edge off it. I got my husband to have a look and he said that where the crown was seems like a massive, very deep hole and he could see the bone.

This morning, pain not too bad, taken anti inflammatory and pain killers, it does feel like the other two holes are beginning to heal over, but this one hole just seems cavernous. How long do you think it is likely to be before it's starts to heal over? Is it because it was advanced gum disease and/or a crown? Could it be the dreaded 'dry socket'?

Many thanks for your time. I do appreciate it.

Julie
      Last edited by jubaltroop; 10th August 2008 at 13:10. Reason: added more detail

Default Re: Extracted Molar - hole seems huge?

I am not a dentist but I have had 2 dry sockets and to me that sounds like a possiability.
      If you look in the hole and see bone and not a blot clot then that means you lost the blood clot and the pain you are experiencing could very well be a dry socket.
      If possiable go back to your dentist and if it is a dry socket they can medicate it and the pain is pretty much gone with in about 10 min(or sooner)
      Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.
      Grateful for each & every Day

Thanks Mary,

It's not been too bad today, I'm hoping it's on the mend. I'll see how it feels in the morning and if it's no better I'll give them a ring.

I'm supposed to be seing the hygienist on Thursday but really don't feel like being pulled about anymore, I think I'll postpone until I feel up to it.

Jules

The extraction sites for molars look massive - they'll be around the same diameter as the tooth that came out of them and gradually get smaller. My molar extraction sites that are 2 months old are still visible as a darker pink depression in the jawline. The first day the swelling can actually make the hole look smaller.

Molars have huge roots, they take awhile to recover completely.

In good news my non-dentist opinion is that you don't have a dry socket. Everything I've read and heard says that the pain from that is nothing short of excruciating. If you can stand to open your mouth and speak, you don't have a dry socket. Like I said, I'm not a dentist, but dry sockets are buckets of pain and they don't get better quickly on their own.

It's been pretty common for my 28 extractions over the last 2 months for some of them to hurt most the first day, others the 2nd or 3rd, and some would whack me with some substantial pain a week to 10 days later. A couple days of knocking back Ibuprofen (or Vicodin if I had a few left) and it worked itself out.

Of course if the pain is severe there's no reason to be a trooper - go ahead and call the doc. I had a scary episode a couple weeks back when for (apparently) no reason one of my sockets started bleeding what I felt was a lot. The dentist office was able to help me get things under control and answer my fears without me even needing to come in.

Thanks Spektyr you've put my mind to rest. I managed to eat some chilli for my dinner tonight and was careful to eat one sided, I have taken several pain killers today, but it's nowhere as bad as it was yesterday, so fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

Jules