• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

bone graft with extractions and gumsurgery (what to expect)-I need some hand holding today...

G

gumball

bone graft with extractions and gumsurgery (what to expect)-I need some hand holding today...

Today I will have two wisdom teeth removed under general anesthesia on the left side and I will have two teeth removed on the right upper quadrant that are going to lead to a visible gap when I smile). Since I am already under general anesthesia I will also receive bone graft and sinus graft for the right upper quadrant.

I just now found this wonderful forum yesterday and decided to stock up on instant mashed potatoes and other softer foods (I also went out to binge on one last corn on the cob and steak last night).

I need you wisdom and support! ( I already posted into Grimace' post, but haven't gotten any responses yet).

Once I am healed from today's procedure I will go to my dentist to get impressions for a partial temporary denture. I am horrified to have to be with a big gap in my mouth until then (I am in my mid thirties and don't have many friends that would like to chat with me about my dental problems all though my closest friends already have been warned by me to expect to see me miserable and toothless).

After reading Grimace's post I think my biggest worry now is quick healing. I was hoping to be sort of ok after the weekend - must I expect to take days "off"?

Also I am told to have "gum surgery" at the soonest convenience in all 4 quadrants. I already had the hygienist's cleaning, but I apparently require a periodontist to take care of that.

Grinmace's post is the first first hand reference I am finding, but I am not sure that we're having the same kind of procedure.

I think I am going to get a super deep cleaning under my gum under local anesthesia. Is that what you had? It sounded pretty horrible from your description.

How soon after tomorrow's procedure do you think I will be ready to do the gum surgery? I was hoping I would be ready in a week or two weeks from now (to tackle one half of the mouth) and then 1-2 weeks later the other half of the mouth. Again after reading your first hand experience I am afraid that there are a lot of follow up appointments before I get the clear.

I have of course asked my oral surgeon and periodontologist, but I could not get a good answer. Both parties seemed to be fighting over who gets to do their procedure first and the periodontologist is sort of willing to do it anytime (as long as I pay) and the oral surgeon wants me to wait until I am fully healed.

To make matters worse. Since I am in my mid thirties I also am trying to conceive. So I am really motivated to get this over with very quickly even if I am going over my annual max of dental benefits. I think I can't handle much of the local anesthesia or bacteria during a potential pregnancy.

My journey will end with three dental implants that will started in 6-9 months from now (hopefully), but that's in the far away future.

thanks all of reading... please hold my hands! Gumball

PS I always thought I were the only mid thirties person to loose teeth and was really depressed about it. Thanks for letting me know that you are out there !

Re: bone graft with extractions and gumsurgery (what to expect)-I need some hand holding today...

HI and Welcome,
Sorry I don't have answers for you but wanted to say Hello anyway. I'm 38 and have a lot of dental issues going on right now too.

Re: bone graft with extractions and gumsurgery (what to expect)-I need some hand holding today...

You will be fine, and the healing should go pretty smoothly,as long as you do what your dentist tells you.

I am 30 years old and recently had all my upper teeth extracted for a full top denture so you are defanatly not alone/.
Your in my thoughts and prayers.:XXLhug:

Hi Gumball and :welcome:,

By now I'm probably too late to wish you well so I'll just say that I hope you are feeling o.k. and that everything went smoothly. I wouldn't worry too much about the recovery period as everyone seems to be different in how they heal and feel after extractions. I'll keep my fingers crossed :thumbsup: that you will be one of the lucky ones who feel absolutely great afterwards and heals easily and quickly!

In regards to some of the questions about the deep cleaning and gum surgery, if you haven't already (I haven't checked out that section yet), you may want to ask the dentists. Some of it may depend upon healing and how you feel, but they may be able to give you a better idea of what to expect.

And to help ease your mind about losing some teeth in your 30's - I lost one tooth (broke in half and couldn't be saved) in my late teens and another one in my late 20's that had to be removed during an emergency appt. because I hadn't gone in years and only went because it finally hurt way too bad to deal with. I didn't learn anything from that and never went back again until 2 years ago this month. Losing teeth can happen for a number of reasons and there is no reason to feel bad about it. The important thing is that you are getting everything fixed up so you will have a beautiful, healthy smile to show off! ;D

Now go relax, enjoy the yummy soft foods (ice cream anyone?) and let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it!

:cheers:

I had surgery with bone grafts in all four quadrants of my mouth. I did it in four visits, with valium, gas and local anesthesia. It wasn't bad at all. I could have easily worked the next day but I did all 4 on a Friday so I had Saturday and Sunday. When they did the upper quadrants of my mouth my temporary partial was uncomfortable for a couple of days so I had to go without my front teeth for a bit. But all and all it wasn't bad at all. Thinking about was far worse than the actual procedure.

Welcome to the Forum! I hope that all went well for you today and I hope that by this time next year, you'll be smiling with your beautiful new teeth at your beautiful new baby. :)

Please post and let us know how you're feeling as soon as you're up to it.

Back