• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

how can i tell if extraction site is healing well?

J

jceeson

Hello to everyone. This is my first time here and I'm so glad I found a site like this. I too am terrified of the dentist and hadn't been to one in ten years until two days ago. I had excruciating pain in one of my back molars and could stand it no more. So I went and had to have the tooth extracted. I have never had a tooth pulled before and am wondering if it is healing ok. My question is what should the area look like. My site area looks greyish white and it has an strange taste to it. Just the site area not my whole mouth. Also is it normal to have throbbing pain only in the site area couple of days later. The pain is not to bad just annoying. Any comments are very much appreciated!! Thank you very much!

Sounds like it's healing nicely. They greyish stuff is called granulation tissue and is meant to be there.

Oh thats good news!!:jump: I've read so much about the dreaded dry socket I was gettin super paranoid!:scared: lol. Thank you so much for your help. Do you know how long it usually takes to heal?

2-3 weeks in an average healthy person.

:cheers:Thank you for the info! it has been 6 days now and the hole seems to get a little smaller each day and the pain is virtually gone! everything seems to be doing ok. My other teeth hurt a bit though but I have heard that that is normal because of shifting of my other teeth. Do you agree with that? Thanks again!

Glad to hear you are healing well. My question to you is when did the gray granulation start to disappear? I am 4 days post extraction and I noticed today I woke up and the gray granulation is starting to disipate. I'm so nervous about a dry socket that I don't want the so-called "scab" to go away too soon.:( So when is normal for it to start to go away?

Dry socket happens mostly within 24-48 hrs of extraction. Healing happens at very different rates between different people, so there's no exact answer to your question. Forget about dry socket after 4 days though ;)

I noticed that the socket looked clear after a couple of days and I was also a little worried but I kept in mind what was said about dry socket being quite rare and now it has been a week since my extraction and it does not hurt at all!!! I am even eating solid food yippeeee!!:cloud9: lol So try not to worry hun I'm sure you will do well also! Just make sure to keep the site clear of food by rinsing gently with salt water. All the best!:thumbsup:

Phew! I'm glad I looked through this thread. I saw the whitish gray stuff and thought I had gotten food stuck. It is granulation tissue which just makes me glad I'm healing! (Not the greatest thing to google though :o)

:ROFLMAO:I know I was freaked at first too! But all appears to be healing well. I do get food stuck in there but rinsing with saltwater seems to get it out. Hope yours heals quickly also!:cheers:

Thanks! So far everything's going pretty well, mostly my jaw is sore and the gums are itchy but nothing I can't deal with!

:jump:Good stuff!! I'm glad to hear it.

Back